POLL: "Old" Niche to re-open as new members only club "Nemos"

What do you think to the "old" Niche nightclub, re-opening as a new club?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think to the "old" Niche nightclub, re-opening as a new club?

• Yes, I like the idea.
    • No, absolutely not.
    • I don't really care either way.

Thats true - but i'm sure he does all the bassline nights now

but that don't mean he wants to continue in that vain does it? What i'm trying to say is that he's experienced other music apart from bassline and worked at other clubs that have not played bassline.

would still end up full of wanna be gangsters...dont think it could ever be what it was back in day....gud times:)

NOt neccessarily, it depends on the music policy, sheffield could do with a decent Jazz club, not many wanna be gangsters into that.

Just because those who are applying for a license have or had connections with Niche in the past, don't mean that they want to open a club like it once was. Were all just speculating here and I think that we should all hold our horses and wait to see what happens and find out what Nemos will offer different to Niche!

The clue in the application that they are intending to basically re-open Niche, is in that they want to take on the licencing restrictions from Niche and to only open on Saturday's, Bank Holidays and NYE.

If they were intending to open a club with a range of nights and of different genre's to Niche, and make a completely new start, they wouldn't be making these concessions already. They would have applied for a licence to open on any day, and definately without a members only restriction. Members only clubs, as a general (i.e. not absolute) rule, don't work. You have to be offering something very different and very good in order to provide the incentive required to get people to join in advance.

While I support more venues in Sheffield (and disagree with the OP that the lack is entirely SCC's fault), I think it's time to let Niche go. We need more flexible venues rather than places which only open one night a week.

The clue in the application that they are intending to basically re-open Niche, is in that they want to take on the licencing restrictions from Niche and to only open on Saturday's, Bank Holidays and NYE.

If they were intending to open a club with a range of nights and of different genre's to Niche, and make a completely new start, they wouldn't be making these concessions already. They would have applied for a licence to open on any day, and definately without a members only restriction. Members only clubs, as a general (i.e. not absolute) rule, don't work. You have to be offering something very different and very good in order to provide the incentive required to get people to join in advance.

While I support more venues in Sheffield (and disagree with the OP that the lack is entirely SCC's fault), I think it's time to let Niche go. We need more flexible venues rather than places which only open one night a week.

I haven't said that it is Sheffield City Councils falt solely at all!

The fact that it is the "old" Niche building, which was raided at a great cost to the city (almost3/4 of a million pounds).

It is the fact that it is the "old" Niche building, which has alot a bad press over its history and maybe that asking or applying for it to be a 'members only' club, is the only way that it could get reopened by anyone.

There does appear to be an agenda to snuff bassline out in the city, rather than working with it into the future. All it does is make bassline more underground again and risk it springing up elsewhere, where it isn't properly monitored with good security in place. Niche offered the best in security and were in full cooperation with the police.

It's the police, more than SCC who were painting Niche in as bad a light as can be. I also hear that police liason officers have been around Sidney St to advise residents of the possible reopening of the club on Sidney St, so who's goin out of their way to object to this the most? They are urging or advising residents to put in objections to the application.

Edited by Joe9T

I haven't said that it is Sheffield City Councils falt solely at all!

Apologies then, but that is the way that numerous of your posts on the subject sound.

The fact that it is the "old" Niche building, which was raided at a great cost to the city (almost3/4 of a million pounds).

It is the fact that it is the "old" Niche building, which has alot a bad press over its history and maybe that asking or applying for it to be a 'members only' club, is the only way that it could get reopened by anyone.

Do you really think if someone like the owners of Babylon/Reflex/Flares wanted to open it as a second branch of one of those brands they would have to get it as a members only venue? Or if Plug wanted to have it as a second venue? Or if someone wanted to open it as a jazz club?

When you apply for a licence for a building, the committee will want to know what sort of events, what capacities, how you're going to secure it, emergency policies, and what sort of clientele you're expecting. It's from that information that they decide what (if any) restrictions and conditions need applying. If someone is going in saying we're only going to open to members, then that shows they're expecting to have that as a condition because of the those things the committee needs to know.

I think it could well be due to the fact that those behind Next Level Entertainment Ltd have had involvement with Niche on Charter Row prior, but that doesn't mean that they intend to run it in the same capacity as Charter Row.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

I think it could well be due to the fact that those behind Next Level Entertainment Ltd have had involvement with Niche on Charter Row prior, but that doesn't mean that they intend to run it in the same capacity as Charter Row.
No of course it doesn't. No doubt there are plans for opera nights and flamenco parties and skiffle get togethers and brass band meetings and tango lessons and all manner of things absolutely nothing to do with bassline! :D:D:D

No of course it doesn't. No doubt there are plans for opera nights and flamenco parties and skiffle get togethers and brass band meetings and tango lessons and all manner of things absolutely nothing to do with bassline! :D:D:D

another being ridiculous for ridiculous sake, but hey, I hope those behind the application see your comment and actually call your bluff... now that would put a sock in it, wouldn't it! :hihi::o

Edited by Joe9T