Sanderson Bros. and Newbould/Sanderson Kayser

Hello all,

I'm just working on a mural on the former Sanderson Brothers and Newbould works (Newhall Road, Attercliffe). Its really to celebrate the history of the company and also re-instate the war memorial plaques that are currently in storage.

Does anyone have any stories, memories or facts that they can share?

Theres some incredible history attached to the building and the people who worked there:

The sword of Stalingrad was forged there.

It was the second largest manufacturer of bayonets in the UK.

It produced cavalry officers swords for both great wars.

It set up its own sister company in America (to get around trade restrictions).

It had its own dedicated steam train service using existing lines in the area.

I'd be very grateful if anyone had any gems of information or stories that they could kindly share...I really want the people working there now to appreciate what happened on that important site.

Many thanks!

Hello all,

I'm just working on a mural on the former Sanderson Brothers and Newbould works (Newhall Road, Attercliffe). Its really to celebrate the history of the company and also re-instate the war memorial plaques that are currently in storage.

Does anyone have any stories, memories or facts that they can share?

Theres some incredible history attached to the building and the people who worked there:

The sword of Stalingrad was forged there.

It was the second largest manufacturer of bayonets in the UK.

It produced cavalry officers swords for both great wars.

It set up its own sister company in America (to get around trade restrictions).

It had its own dedicated steam train service using existing lines in the area.

I'd be very grateful if anyone had any gems of information or stories that they could kindly share...I really want the people working there now to appreciate what happened on that important site.

Many thanks!

I feel I must correct you there because the Stalingrad swords steel was made at S.B.N and rolled by Joe Crookes and then sent to Wilkinson Sword to be shaped by a 93 year old swordsmith and then embellished by a 23 year old corporal from the R.A.F.

A topic is on it somewhere on the forum.

Edited by Kidorry
spelling mistake

I feel I must correct you there because the Stalingrad swords steel was made at S.B.N and rolled by Joe Crookes and then sent to Wilkinson Sword to be shaped by a 93 year old swordsmith and then embellished by a 23 year old corporal from the R.A.F.

A topic is on it somewhere on the forum.

I worked there in the early 60's 3 directors names I seem to recall were Mr. Bull, Mr Latham and Mr Jack Lonsdale. I believe Jack Lonsdale died in a car accident, think about Christmas time. Jag 3.8? Possibly 1964.

Did someone die as a result of falling into the acid pickling pit. Story I was told, but before I started working there. It's possible that his wife was the receptionist. Can anyone confirm?

• 11 months later...

My great grandfather, Alfred Rowlinson worked as a Government Sword Viewer at Sanderson Brothers and Newbould, Attercliffe. He inspected swords and bayonets to ensure they were to the highest quality needed for military and Royal family ceremonial occassions. He was later presented with a medal from the royal family for his service.