How to get creosote smell out of clothes?

Hi,

Does anybody have any ideas for getting the creosote smell out of clothes? I had my washing out and the neighbours have been using it their garden. It all stinks. I've washed it 4 times now including one time using biological powder but no luck. Most of it is my 18 month old daughter's clothing and some of it is brand new :(.

Does anyone know if the smell on the clothes is harmful? They have not come into contact with the substance just the fumes.

Thanks.

Stand next to a fence covered in creosote. After a while you will not know if the smell is coming from the fence or your clothes. :)

I may be wrong, but I thought it was illegal to use creosote as it is carcinogenic.

Set fire to them.

That once happened to my cat, she must have climbed the neighbours fence/sat on it and I had to have her bathed at the vets:o Its very hard to get rid of the smell !

Kiss and caress them, take them out for dinner then dump them.

Well thanks for the helpful replies - not!

Like I said besides the smell I am concerned about the effects on my kids!

I may be wrong, but I thought it was illegal to use creosote as it is carcinogenic.

Yeah, but it is not proper creosote now...its that watered down type stuff, not like the original.....

as for the smell.....a boil wash with loads of powder.?

Tried loads of powder and soaking in bicarb of soda and nothing is budging it. What worries me is that it might be the real thing that's been sat in their garage for a few years especially as they are an older couple who may like to do things the old fahioned way!

Even if we can dull the smell (which I doubt anyway) I'm not sure if it's safe for my baby to wear the clothes. I would rather not have to throw them, in total they cost a lot of money.

You could try putting baking soda on for 2 hours and then brushing off and putting through wash again. This knowledge gleaned from ehow.com, no idea if it will work but worth a shot.

Tried loads of powder and soaking in bicarb of soda and nothing is budging it. What worries me is that it might be the real thing that's been sat in their garage for a few years especially as they are an older couple who may like to do things the old fahioned way!

Even if we can dull the smell (which I doubt anyway) I'm not sure if it's safe for my baby to wear the clothes. I would rather not have to throw them, in total they cost a lot of money.

I really wouldnt want to risk the health of my baby....I would throw em out