Hallam towers hotel

I used to work there when it was the hoilday inn :) in housekeeping

It's being refurbished and converted into apartments. I'll post a link.

Thank god for that a Sheffield 60,s landmark that has escaped the dreaded wrecking ball and all the waste of the earths resorces that go with it.

Seems an odd place for a hotel. Not really handy for anywhere. Who used to stay there?

i used to maintain the gardens there but only for a short time and the only famouse person i saw was peter noone the singer of hermans hermits

This thread has been interesting reading. I pass the hotel quite a lot and wondered why such an eyesore has been left in such a beautiful area. I think they should redevelop the site but bring the building down below the tree line. It's a blot on the landscape of the view of Sheffield from the Mayfield Valley. Sticks out like a sore thumb around the stone buildings and trees. Something has to be done, we need to start a campaign!

Is it only an eyesore because its abandoned? I thought in the 70s it looked really futuristic peeping out from all the trees of that side of town.

I seem to remember it was a bit exciting when they lit the Christmas tree on the outside of it - you could see it from where I lived at Banner Cross.

It was built in the sixties as a high end hotel. Surprised at its demise.

yeah, years ago.I used to work there as a chef,many moons ago.

me too was great place to work

Well every time planning permission has gone in for the building to be redeveloped the local rezzidents have got up in arms about "the impact on their properties".

Seems they'd rather have a great rotting pile of cack in their back garden than, shock horror, a modern development.

Still the extra traffic would make it difficult for them to park up their 4x4.

Could you substantiate that statement please?