New footage released at Ian Tomlinson's inquest.

Reading today's live updates form the trial and Simon Harwood just keeps on lying! I struggle to understand how he can keep saying the things he does when he knows about and is then shown video footage contradicting everything he says! The guy is a complete moron and an utter disgrace.

Reading today's live updates form the trial and Simon Harwood just keeps on lying! I struggle to understand how he can keep saying the things he does when he knows about and is then shown video footage contradicting everything he says! The guy is a complete moron and an utter disgrace.

I remember being in a magistrates court many years ago when some student demonstrators were being prosecuted. Similar things happened then. The policemen would swear blind and refer to his "notes" regarding an incident only for the defence to produce photographs showing the complete opposite. I almost felt embarrassed for them.

harwood's struggling even more today isn't he - having to say that ,from his angle, a man who is clearly filmed slowly walking away from is actually encroaching - I've given evidence in court numerous times and it's hard work when you're telling the truth, how must this thug feel when every detail of his account is disproven by video?

The guardian live feed is outstanding piece of journalism - almost glad I'm ill and can keep up with it between trips to the lav.

What seems to be happening is a video clip is played to the court, and the police officer then flatly refutes what everyone in court has just seen. Unbelievable. I think Harwood may be mentally ill:

The video clip – we're uploading it now – shows Tomlinson did have his back to the officer.

Harwood is asked if he wants to change his position. He replies: "From what I perceived, from the angle that I saw, no." Ryder asks him again if he wants to change his answer. He declines.

Ryder says:

"We are all looking at the video – everybody in the room is looking at the video. And I'm asking you a very simple question. When you pushed him, did he have his back to you, yes or no?"

After some confusion, with Harwood declining to answer, the judge intervenes. He asks him personally whether he had his back to the officer at the point of the push. Harwood replies:

"No."

Ryder:

"You're lying, PC Harwood, I suggest. And you know it."

Harwood:

"No, I am just trying to help."

Harwood's refusal to accept Tomlinson had his back to him has caused considerable consternation in the room.

One of Tomlinson's daughters has left the hearing, sobbing loudly.

Harwood was asked several times to explain the lawful justification for his use of force.

After a number of attempts, Harwood settled on the explanation that Tomlinson posed "a breach of the peace". He later said that his training permitted him to use a baton against an individual who was posing no threat to him or anybody else.

His statement prompted the coroner to tell Harwood that he did not have to answer questions that could incriminate himself.

looks like harwood's brief is desperately trying to form some sympathy for this thug - 'i was alone' - apparently he didn't throw a journalist to the ground, he was desperately trying to get to his colleagues and accidentally knocked him down, poor thing. His brief's got a hard job on i think