Is Sheffield Over Populated?

Walking around Sheffield on Friday, I nearly got knocked over by the amount of people brushing past me on Fargate. I wonder, has our great City become over populated? It is a big village after all.

Well I was on Fargate on Saturday and I thought it was rather too quiet! (well apart from all the chuggers that is)

Well everyone seems to be living somewhere. the streets aren't littered with a sea of homeless people.

Sheffield's peak population was reached in 1951, so perhaps we don't need quite so many homes these days?

THREE THOUSAND homeless people are turned away from the Salvation Army hostel in Sheffield city centre each year because its 56 beds are full. This contradicts new government statistics which state that Sheffield only has 11 rough sleepers.

http://jusnews.shef.ac.uk/convergence_08/gov-homeless-statistics-criticised

Yeah, but Sheffield people are not like ignorant people 'dahh south'.

They're not ignorant, it's just an act they put on to make sure all you northern monkeys go back where you came from!

I totally agree. What's the answer?

get shut of the immigrants:mad:

THREE THOUSAND homeless people are turned away from the Salvation Army hostel in Sheffield city centre each year because its 56 beds are full. This contradicts new government statistics which state that Sheffield only has 11 rough sleepers.

The report doesn't make it clear whether this is 3000 different people or the same 10 people being turned away each day...? If you see what I mean..

Edited by truman

I don't know if it's over populated or not.

But sometimes I think a cull would be a great idea.

get shut of the immigrants:mad:

You're obsessed aren't you? Immigrants are ace, stop picking on them all the time - get a sense of perspective.

The report doesn't make it clear whether this is 3000 different people or the same 10 people being turned away each day...? If you see what I mean..

I suppose you could ask them to name them for you if you're in doubt.

I suppose you could ask them to name them for you if you're in doubt.

You brought the report up..I didn't know if you knew..but you do see the difference it makes?

Yeah, but Sheffield people are not like ignorant people 'dahh south'.

id disagree a lately like the impatient woman who wouldnt wait for a diasbled man to come in sainsbury and proceded to whack my legs with the trolley trying to get past me and him .

Overpopulated? No way. The population is lower than in the past, and the city centre is quieter than Leeds or even Nottingham. It would help the housing situation if there hadn't been so many council properties demolished over the past fifteen years.

The article goes on to suggest that there are at least 50 rough sleepers in Sheffield, but nothing like 3,000 - chances are a fair few of them are sleeping on friends' floors, or squatting.

Overpopulated? No way. The population is lower than in the past, and the city centre is quieter than Leeds or even Nottingham. It would help the housing situation if there hadn't been so many council properties demolished over the past fifteen years.

The article goes on to suggest that there are at least 50 rough sleepers in Sheffield, but nothing like 3,000 - chances are a fair few of them are sleeping on friends' floors, or squatting.

No one should be sleeping rough in Sheffield it does not matter if the no,s are 10 or 10,000 The big problem is the selling of council estates [Park Hill, Norfolk Park, Kelvin etc] on top of this we have the spec landlords buying up all the traditional terrace areas of Walkley, Crookes,Sharrow, Hunters Bar etc and letting them of to multiple occupation of the ever increasing student population.

These policies have left many of our poorer citizens without any hope of getting their own place and lead to some becoming homeless.