Sheffield - Save Our NHS!

So what?

Back to the first question; How would you feel if the private sector can do the same for less money while making a profit?

in some areas of the public sector yes private companies can do the same job for less money and make profit, but

i dont subscribe to the ideaology behind private companies making profit out of the NHS by their methods(which they all do) of cutting corners on their main costs ie staff at the expense of the patients. The NHS isnt a profit making business like other sectors are, its there for us the public as free at point of use. family members have had superb treatment and care from the NHS this last year and previously , its not perfect no but its brill when you really need it and you dont have to worry about costs.

there are numerous examples of profit making contracts having to be taken back into NHS control ie cleaning contracts, did you not notice the rise in hospital infections linked to poor hygiene etc during the previous govt and the one before it?

The NHS isnt a profit making business like other sectors are

ChrisT70 is making lots of sense. Some private companies create outrageous profits at the expense of their customers, workforce and the public. But please also be wary of companies that claim to be "not for profit" which still may have executives who are being paid obscene amounts of money.

So you're happy that they should drive a Mercedes and live in a half million pound house but not generate any money to pay for it?

who said i'm happy that they should drive a Mecedes and live in a half million pound house? you lost me.

So what?

Back to the first question; How would you feel if the private sector can do the same for less money while making a profit?

But we are now at the point where the private sector have had all of the easy bones of the public sector to pick over and are now at the hard to clean ones. Take the Probations service as an example: The government are looking at privatising probation hostels, community service and eventually the delivery of offending behaviour programs.

All of these are low risk work, the companies will have minimum exposure for their vastly reduced resource. Meanwhile the Probation Service for the 'lucky' few who remain under that banner will be solely assigned the high risk work, your Dano Sonnex's of this world, so when it goes South ........ Who's to blame?

The private sector cannot do what the public sector can because they rely on unbalanced contracts made with unscrupulous governance. The history of the private sector speaks volumes, in the end the public purse is always dipped into one way or another - Thy can't make a profit unless they put workers at risk, sell directorships, line pockets, contribute to campaigns and generally scratch as many backs as they can in order to get those last few contracts.

In 10 years the public sector will have a massive revival.

Are you happy that they should yet not generate the money to pay for it?

when you are old and frail, i will be genuinely very happy to have paid taxes towards the service, and living wage of the carer, to help to feed, wash and support you to live as healthy and happy a life as possible. i suspect that carer won't be generating much income. That's fine by me.......as long as i don't have to line the pockets of some private company along the way.

Edited by Idler