Sheffield - Save Our NHS!

• Are you a current, previous or future NHS employee?

• A regular, occasional or past NHS service user?

• Know someone who uses NHS services?

Then you need to make your voice heard!

We are a movement comprising people from all walks of life who are, or will be affected by the government’s austerity measures of spending cuts to NHS Services across England. We also strongly oppose the creeping privatisation of the NHS by successive governments.

We are based in Sheffield and will be taking action against the NHS cuts for this area. We actively invite both individuals and other groups based in other locations around England with similar aims to get involved.

http://www.sheffieldsaveournhs.co.uk/home_4.html

Feel free to come along to our next meeting at the Crucible Corner cafe

7pm Monday 7th March

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask :)

Edited by Cymraes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/mar/02/nhs-reform-surgeries-stock-market

Andrew Lansley is 'looking carefully' at a private health company proposal to turn NHS budget underspends into private company 'profits' that would financially benefit the GPs who will decide how much of their budget to spend on treating the sick.

Basically the less money they spend on us, the more money they personally make.

"Sorry Mrs Smith you can't have that hip replacement until the next financial year, I'm trying to make enough to buy a Bugatti Veyron."

I almost didn't write this as I don't want to incite people or come be shouted at but...I work for a major supplier to the NHS and have been involved with medical engineering companies around Yorkshire for quite a long time. I know work exporting British made medical products abroad particularly to the Middle East.

What I have gathered from my experience is the wasteful disregard for funding and cost saving dispayed by NHS trusts as a whole. When a company sells a product to the NHS it can take up to 12 months for the deal to be signed and good recieved. This is because of the multiple levels of management involved in any decision. This beaurocracy is not seen in any other health service around the world.

If the NHS is to survive it needs to trim the fat and by this I mean regualting budgets centrally, cutting back on hundreds of administrative and middle management staff. This would not only save the NHS money but stream line the decision making process which would thus improve patient care and boost manufacturing. I don't believe that front line staff should be affected by cuts but a revision of how trusts are constructed is necessary.

Another point kind of related is that when the global economic crisis really took hold the majority of public health services around the world stopped importing products and only bought domestic products where they could to help boost the economy. The NHS on the other hand chose to reduce its purchase of British made products in favour of products primarily from America.

Interesting link to a video of D.Cameron with a picture of G.Brown on it.

So I have not bothered to watch it.

I think you'll find it's purely a link showing cameron from 4 years ago campaigning on the streets against these very NHS cuts he's now putting in place.

What cuts are these? The NHS budget is ringfenced and is increasing in line with inflation this parliament. Parliament voted through these increases in the CSR and would have vote again to stop them. Which there's no sign of.

I know lots of other things are being cut (and cut extra because of the protection of the NHS). And I know lots of people are skeptical of the NHS reforms. But cuts? Where?