Going to the cinema in the 40s & 50s.

Booking double seats at Hillsborough Kinema for courting couples.

8 hours ago, bazza63 said:

Booking double seats at Hillsborough Kinema for courting couples.

You could actually 'book' seats? Hillsborough Kinema wasn't  the London Paliadium.

Edited by St Petre
add

Oh what memories. Saturday matinee at the Capitol (Essoldo) Barnsley Road with friends . We would come out of the pictures, then run down the spare ground towards Deerlands Ave. Hitting the side of our legs as if we were horses, shooting each other with our fingers. Falling down as though we had been shot. Friday nights it was either Capitol or Paragon (Firth Park) depending on the film they were showing. All dressed up looking smart just in case you met a girl. Oh what memories.

yes if you wanted double seats for  you and girl friend  you had to book.Booking double seats at Hillsborough Kinema for courting couples.

During the mid '60s Mr. and Mrs  Duffems used to meet outside Staley newsagents at 6:30 pm on Saturday but, he was always late due to the "Green 'Uns" being late delivered to Colley's newsagents on Shirebrook Road, Mr Duffems delivered the Star first. We would walk down Broadfield Road then up  by the Express Dairy with the cow in the window  to the Abbeydale Cinema. After the film we'd go into the sarsaparilla shop before doing the same route back home. We used to struggle to find enough coins to pay for it on a Saturday night!

Years later I found that my great grandfather had shares in the Abbeydale when it was first built as a theatre and my mother and her siblings used to have free tickets.

After 53 years of marriage and having known each other for 67 years (ex Carfield School kids) we often talk about those fond memories, irreplaceable.

Regards,

Duffems

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bazza63 said:

yes if you wanted double seats for  you and girl friend  you had to book.Booking double seats at Hillsborough Kinema for courting couples.

Can't remember that but I can remember standing outside there and asking adults to take us in to see PG films.

One Sunday night I went to see The Hill a film about an army prison at the Hillsborough Park Cinema 2 days before going in the army.

It certainly made me wonder what I was letting myself in for !

8 hours ago, blackhill said:

Oh what memories. Saturday matinee at the Capitol (Essoldo) Barnsley Road with friends . We would come out of the pictures, then run down the spare ground towards Deerlands Ave. Hitting the side of our legs as if we were horses, shooting each other with our fingers. Falling down as though we had been shot. Friday nights it was either Capitol or Paragon (Firth Park) depending on the film they were showing. All dressed up looking smart just in case you met a girl. Oh what memories.

Saturday matinee at the Paragon.

Queue up for the stalls, 7d to enter.. Tom Mix and Hop-a-long Cassidy..