Where is the best place to live in Liverpool?

I can tell you where NOT to live, if that would help?

From the city centre heading west, avoid the following areas:

Kensington, Fairfield, Old Swan, Huyton

From the south, heading north:

Toxteth, Shiel Road, Everton, Anfield, Walton

There will be 'nice' streets (by Liverpool standards) amongst the above areas, but unless you know what streets to avoid, your son WILL be mugged or killed.

Where to live?

Mossley Hill is nice but on the outskirts of the city, so might be commutable to the city centre in 30 minutes. Also, there are plenty of flats apartments in the city centre.

x

Most people speak like this but in my experience of LIverpool propety crime is quite high but personal attacks are quite rare.As other say Sefton Park is fine and there are some good parts around Toxteth.Rent with a freind for a short time and weigh up areas for yourself.

Chester is nice but can be rather expensive (it would be the same as Formby). Plus you leave yourself open to the mercy of the train for commuting. If anything goes wrong I wouldn't like to make the journey on the bus. At least being further up The Wirral you've got the option of both tunnels, two train lines and the ferry (which is a great eyeopener on a stormy cold winter's morning!)

I'm from Liverpool but now I live off Eccy Road in Sheffield.

If I were to move back to Liverpool I would be looking to live in a similarish area in Liverpool . I would probably look at Aigburth, fairly close to Lark Lane. If my budget was the same as yours, I would be looking to house share.

Aigburth is generally a nice area although some bits can be a bit rough. There is a website called up-my-street which might help you get a rough idea of what different parts of Liverpool are like, put in the full post-code of the streets you're interested in, you often get different results that way than you do by just putting in say L17.

I hope that you enjoy your time in Liverpool x

Thanks again! I am getting a feel for the areas now from the replies here. Aigburth and Calderstone Park sound promising.

A friend lived in Chester, it seemed nice but I would rather avoid cars or trains. Ideally I will cycle if I can find a ground floor flat. Sharing is out, a few too many bad (and expensive) experiences there!

I`ve found bargains before on Gumtree, but I could pay more if necessary. I am showing my Yorkshire breeding with that budget. Generally rents seem cheaper than Manchester though so I am hopeful. It looks like I`ll have less than a week from re-entering the country to needing a place so my fingers are crossed for something to be available!

I also quite like the idea of buying... no deposit though :)

I will be working at Liverpool Royal University Hospital in Kensington by the way, not the University area per se. I have been once, the area seemed a bit grim but the lab is good.

Edited by Crayfish

Good advice from Maverick.

Aigburth is good, I was brought up there so am fairly biased. The area between Aigburth Vale and Riversdale Road is nice and pretty quiet, and the Lark Lane area/Sefton Park is good too, with plenty of bars, restaurants etc nearby. My daughter was at Liverpool Uni and shared a terraced house in Mossley Hill. It's a good area, mainly families, ideal route for the RLH. The Smithdown Road area is that bit nearer, but has a lot of students and can be 'lively'.

There are plenty of good areas - I'm sure you'll enjoy Liverpool. It's not really any worse(or better) than any other big city. In the 50 years we had a house in Aigburth, the only damage we had to our property was at the hands of the police! They went to the wrong address and broke the leaded glass in the front door!

Good luck!