Location location location - moving to Sheffield

All the areas that you are looking at are good ones, particularly Dore/Totley which have some of the highest house prices in Sheffield.

It is some years ago that I used the train from Meadowhall to Manchester but IIRC it took about an hour. However, best to check this. There is a free car park for rail users.

With regards to Rotherham, I'm quite comfortable living there, but I do realise that young folk are (possibly) looking for different things to me.

You will get better value for money rental-wise and the council tax will probably be a lot less too. Areas close to the Meadowhall station (within about a 3 mile radius) would be Brinsworth, Kimberworth, Moorgate. From any of these you would be at the station in about 10 to 15 minutes depending upon traffic. Also, they are all close to the M1.

On the Sheffield side of Meadowhall and again within a 3 miles radius you would need to be looking at Sheffield 9 or 5 areas but parts of these are maybe not so good. You would need more advice about this because I haven't lived there myself.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks guys. So Chapeltown and Brinsworth, Kimberworth, Moorgate are also areas I should check. Are all these safe and nice areas?

And my last question is about driving. How does the woodhead road compare to snake road? Is it much better to drive or there are more or less the same? I tried google street view but if someone has driven on both road, he could enlighten me!

Once again thanks for your help guys!

Thanks guys. So Chapeltown and Brinsworth, Kimberworth, Moorgate are also areas I should check. Are all these safe and nice areas?

And my last question is about driving. How does the woodhead road compare to snake road? Is it much better to drive or there are more or less the same? I tried google street view but if someone has driven on both road, he could enlighten me!

Once again thanks for your help guys!

I drive on both it just depends if I leave from work or home.......I find the woodhead much better

I would say Chapeltown has some good places to live............have you considered Tankersley and Pilley as both have some good housing and are very nice areas.....another are to consider would be Thorpe Hesley and Harley, both close to Chap station and nice area's

Hi Kippax. Thanks for your advice. I'll try to shortlist areas within 10-15 drive to Meadowhall Railway Station which has a direct connection to Manchester. Chapeltown, Brinsworth, Kimberworth, Moorgate seem to close enough and so do Tankersley and Pilley. I'll also check Brinsworth, Kimberworth and Moorgate as poppy2 suggested on the Rotherham side.

The second option seems to be areas 10-15 drive away from Dore rail, that is Dore, Totley, maybe Fulwood.

The first option seem to have better connection in general both to Manchester and around South Yorkshire that my fiancee will have to travel to, due to the proximity to the highway. The second option I think has better housing options and to my understanding is a better area. I guess it will all depend to the houses that will be on the market in july that I'll be looking to move. Chapeltown seems a nice option at least on google maps! I just hope it has a couple of pubs and restaurants so we wont have to go to Sheffield centre to have a beer!

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the informative responses. So it seems a bad idea to drive to Manchester. I've only travelled to Manchester through M62 and snake pass seems quite narrower than that. So to travel to oxford road rail in Manchester during the morning, will it take approximately 1h 30min ???

Proximity to Dore rail station seems ideal as the direct link to Manchester is a great alternative. Are Dore, Totley, Dronfield safe and nice areas to live? I have no clue about Sheffield and probably will have to drive around and have a look but any advice is much appreciated. The only problem is that there are not many houses with 2-3 beds within my budget at least on rightmove.

The second option Fulwood and Crosspool seem to lack the proximity to a rail station.

The third option might be somewhere around Rotherham and possibly drive the A628 to Manchester. Is that a good option? The only think I've heard about Rotherham though is that it is a bit chavvy but then again there must be some nice and safe areas there...

Once again thank you all for your advice.

Dore& Totley Dronfield is generally less expensive and should have cheaper rents than D&T Rotherham does have nice areas around Wickersley

It depends whether you intend to travel by rail or car.

Hi Kippax. Thanks for your advice. I'll try to shortlist areas within 10-15 drive to Meadowhall Railway Station which has a direct connection to Manchester. Chapeltown, Brinsworth, Kimberworth, Moorgate seem to close enough and so do Tankersley and Pilley. I'll also check Brinsworth, Kimberworth and Moorgate as poppy2 suggested on the Rotherham side.

The second option seems to be areas 10-15 drive away from Dore rail, that is Dore, Totley, maybe Fulwood.

The first option seem to have better connection in general both to Manchester and around South Yorkshire that my fiancee will have to travel to, due to the proximity to the highway. The second option I think has better housing options and to my understanding is a better area. I guess it will all depend to the houses that will be on the market in july that I'll be looking to move.

At least you are only renting, so can 'try'. Worst case is a move again in 6 months to somewhere more convieniant

Chapeltown seems a nice option at least on google maps! I just hope it has a couple of pubs and restaurants so we wont have to go to Sheffield centre to have a beer!

At least you are only renting, so can 'try'. Worst case is a move again in 6 months to somewhere more convieniant

well yes but I hate moving every 6 months. The ideal scenario would be to stay there for 2 years!

what about S25 laughton area lovely area cheap rents and 2 mins from motorways

being from manchester and living in Chapeltown I do the rrun on a regular basis for the football..........takes me about 45 mins to an hour over the woodhead. From Chapeltown Rotherham is easy to get to

The trains also go from meadowhall to Manchester and chap is 5 mins from Meadowhall

Do it at rush hour and see how long it takes, I've driven the commute and also at weekends and the difference it's huge.

what about S25 laughton area lovely area cheap rents and 2 mins from motorways

And in completely the wrong place to commute to manchester.

Do it at rush hour and see how long it takes, I've driven the commute and also at weekends and the difference it's huge.

Google maps advices it takes 1 hour to do 36 miles from Chapeltown to central Manchester. Do you reckon this is unreliable?

God, I'm starting to think commuting to Manchester from Sheffield for work is a bad idea. But I dont have any alternative as otherwise the missus would have to drive from Manchester to south Yorkshire daily...

I'd agree with everyone who recommended the train, I've turned down contracts in manchester because of the commute... Although I had other options for work, wouldn't turn then down if I had no other choice.