Location location location - moving to Sheffield

Firstly I would like to thank everyone once again for the replies.

Chapeltown has all the disadvantages of living just outside a city, it's a misserable dump. I would not want to live there, it's far enough from Sheffield to loose any advantage living in or near a city has to offer. It might have good access to the M1 but I asume you want a life when you are not working!

You should stick to the other side of town as said earlier in the thread. Fullwood, lodgemoor, Crookes. All easy access to the A57 if you are driving to Manchester.

I still haven't visited Chapeltown to judge the area but I don't think the distance from central Sheffield is that big. Plus it's just 20 minutes by train and I guess around half an hour by car. That could be too much for some but shouldn't be a problem for me as I right now live a similar distance outside central Leeds.

It might be a similar to your current situation, in which case it might be ideal. Most of the other area's that have been recomended are realy close to Sheffield and quite different to Chapeltown, check it out, lots of people do live there so it can't be all bad. I would say check out the train time tables though if you are planning on using them alot as I don't think it has the most frequent rail service.

It might be a similar to your current situation, in which case it might be ideal. Most of the other area's that have been recomended are realy close to Sheffield and quite different to Chapeltown, check it out, lots of people do live there so it can't be all bad. I would say check out the train time tables though if you are planning on using them alot as I don't think it has the most frequent rail service.

I will consider all areas suggested here. Probably next weekend will have the chance to drive around the areas and have a look. Dore and the surrounding areas seem really nice (at least on google maps!).

I have a question for Dore station though. From what I saw on google parking spaces seem to be really limited. Does anyone use this station to commute to give his opinion? What is the parking situation? I will be probably driving to the station this can be a problem! Thanks in advance!

Dore, Totley and Bradway are your best bet by a long shot if you're going to use the train to get to Manchester. All are very nice areas, and are in the "sought after" south West of Sheffield, with higher house prices.

There are some nice villages out Rotherham way, but you'd be making it very hard work for yourself to get to Manchester...

I will consider all areas suggested here. Probably next weekend will have the chance to drive around the areas and have a look. Dore and the surrounding areas seem really nice (at least on google maps!).

I have a question for Dore station though. From what I saw on google parking spaces seem to be really limited. Does anyone use this station to commute to give his opinion? What is the parking situation? I will be probably driving to the station this can be a problem! Thanks in advance!

The parking area is about to be expanded I believe. The operators have purchased what used to be a garden centre next door, and my understanding is that this is currently being turned into additional parking.

Besides, much of Dore, Totley and Bradway is within a 15 minute walk of the station. A heck of alot less on a cycle!

Firstly I would like to thank everyone once again for the replies.

I still haven't visited Chapeltown to judge the area but I don't think the distance from central Sheffield is that big. Plus it's just 20 minutes by train and I guess around half an hour by car. That could be too much for some but shouldn't be a problem for me as I right now live a similar distance outside central Leeds.

Chapeltown is only 12 mins by train.....or 55 mins if you run it in the mornings like me lol

Where in town will you be working?

So the parking problem should be solved within the year hopefully. If I live within a 15 minute walk it would be OK, but if we end up lets say in Dronfield or Fulwood then I'll have to drive to the station. It all depends on the available houses at the time.

Kippax I won't be working in Sheffield but in Manchester (M2). I was just referring to the time it takes to go to the centre to go shopping or to a restaurant etc.

Dore, Totley and Bradway are your best bet by a long shot if you're going to use the train to get to Manchester. All are very nice areas, and are in the "sought after" south West of Sheffield, with higher house prices.

There are some nice villages out Rotherham way, but you'd be making it very hard work for yourself to get to Manchester...

and Crosspool / Sandygate / Fulwood best bet if driving - again very nice areas in SW with high prices - a little cheaper would be Crookes/Walkley.

So the parking problem should be solved within the year hopefully. If I live within a 15 minute walk it would be OK, but if we end up lets say in Dronfield or Fulwood then I'll have to drive to the station. It all depends on the available houses at the time.

Kippax I won't be working in Sheffield but in Manchester (M2). I was just referring to the time it takes to go to the centre to go shopping or to a restaurant etc.

You can park on streets nearby for the moment for free - no restrictions, although I suspect once the new carpark is open, that there will be restrictions on nearby streets.

Millhouses is another area quite near Dore station that no-one has mentioned I don't think. Nice park if you have kids, and slightly nearer town. 97 and 98 bus go to dore station from Totley,dore and in the opposite direction from Millhouses.