Broadband provider recommendations please

Hi,

I am about to change my broadband provider, and would love to hear from anyone on the Beaumont Park estate in Treeton - tell me if you have deecnt reliable broadband, who with, and what speed do you get?

We have a lot of probs with broadband due to 1. distnace from the exchange (woodhouse) and 2. the wrong type of phone lines.

We have just cancelled with Orange after 11 months of shocking service, with the internet dropping at least once/week and resulting in hours (and £££) of phonecalls to infuriating overseas phone centres.

Have also tried talk talk previously and will NEVER try them again.

Would prefer not BT due to lots of grief and poor service when we had phone with them.

Have been considering Plusnet, or maybe SKY as would quite like sky TV too...

need a package with home phone and free eve/wkend calls. Not massive usage per month, but highish as have 2 teenagers, me and hubby all using internet!

MUST have decent customer service, and a speed faster than 500 mb would be a bonus LOL (currently too slow for even watching iplayer!)

any suggesstions?????

Edited by loupoppins

500mb speed! wish i could have that lol, im with plus net, never had any problems

Not the cheapest but I have been with AOL for years with no problems.

Was going to try someone cheaper but heard good and bad stories about all the major providers so decided to stay with AOL.

I'm with O2, and have my mobile with them so getting an extra discount. No problems at all, £ 7.50 per month and 8mb speed and unlimited downloads.

If you can get Virgin Media then jump in, it beats the rest by a massive country mile.

LOL yes clearly not 500 MB meant obviously 0.5 MB (on a good day !)

Thanks for the recommendations...

Last year they dug up lots of road between treeton and woodhouse exchange, supposedly upgrading the phonelines to allow faster broadband....1 year later I'm still being quoted 1mb as fastest possible available speed...so what was that all about...anyone know who understands these things???

Have these guys been putting new green equipment cabinets in the street next to the BT cabinets? It might be worth waiting for the network to be up and running before you decide.

could get regular broadband from virgin...not the fast one though...

Have these guys been putting new green equipment cabinets in the street next to the BT cabinets? It might be worth waiting for the network to be up and running before you decide.

well, no new cabinets have appeared, but the signs on the roadworks said something about providing south yorkshire with faster broadband, and something about european funding IIRC so may be something to do with that project? But this was really about 10 months ago, and nothing else has happened since.

Is there a way to see if and when they may be thinking about providing that in our area? Or anyone know????

It won't make any difference which supplier you choose, as it all has to travel 8km+ from Woodhouse exchange to Treeton over copper cable. 0.5 mb is about as good as you will get at the moment. Don't believe any of them who tell you that they can give you 8mb etc.....they can't. BT have run in the new fibre cable to Treeton and is expected to come on line sometime in the summer, I believe. This is called BT Infinity and will provide 40mb and will be available to other service providers too, so may be worth hanging on for that.

I'm with O2, and have my mobile with them so getting an extra discount. No problems at all, £ 7.50 per month and 8mb speed and unlimited downloads.

that's who am with o2 £7.50 per mth, ive been with o2 now for 3 yrs now and never had a problem as such, only a few minor ones, 1 call to support team and it gets sorted :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It won't make any difference which supplier you choose, as it all has to travel 8km+ from Woodhouse exchange to Treeton over copper cable. 0.5 mb is about as good as you will get at the moment. Don't believe any of them who tell you that they can give you 8mb etc.....they can't. BT have run in the new fibre cable to Treeton and is expected to come on line sometime in the summer, I believe. This is called BT Infinity and will provide 40mb and will be available to other service providers too, so may be worth hanging on for that.

ok, thanks. Is this the same as the Digital Region thing available through Ripwire? is it likely to be summer before this is available too? according to their site go-live latest date is March 2011?