Sheffield City Council to raise rents 7%

I pay £51 per week for a one bedroom flat with single glazing, a single gas fire, an immersion heater, no central heating, and a bath but no shower.

I estimate with the 6.8% increase I'll be paying £55 per week after April.

55 quid a week :o

Bloody hell i could afford a season ticket at those prices lol :hihi:

Just heard the council are upping there rents 7% and above inflation.

Councils do not decide what the rent increase will be. This is set by national government.

Rent money collected by councils is then sent back to national government who then give a percentage back to each council.

Councils do not decide what the rent increase will be. This is set by national government.

Rent money collected by councils is then sent back to national government who then give a percentage back to each council.

What about adapted properties, furnished properties etc?

Do the government set the prices on those sorts of properties or do the council decide to throw and extra 30/40 quid on top of the already steep rents people are paying?

What about adapted properties, furnished properties etc?

Do the government set the prices on those sorts of properties or do the council decide to throw and extra 30/40 quid on top of the already steep rents people are paying?

Not so sure about the furniture charge. But the government sets what councils can charge for communal heating.

In cases of financial hardship, a council can use its descretion to remove the furniture and the charge. However, a tenant must demonstrate that they are suffering financial hardship by presented house keeping accounts in the format of an Income/Expenditure form.

If you know someone in this situation, do the above, and perhaps get furniture from St Vincent De Pauls instead. However, they do not supply electricals appliences.

They have been increasing above inflation for years and years now, every year. It is a disgrace.

And those in the private sector are paying well over the odds too. The likes of you who say it should be upped are complete idiots. Your happy to pay more and more, fools.

Everyone in the UK will require housing benefit soon, and the economy will get worse, making the current state of the economy look good!

agrees the work was shoddy......no amount of snagging can escape the fact that cheap. poor material is always used.....no way will it last the umpteen year guarantee they have stupidly agreed to...and yes I was on the local Sheffield Homes working group so yes I do know what I am talking about!

No sorry you dont know what your talking about.

the materials that are used on the decent homes are good quality the problem is that sub contractors try to ( and in some cases do use ) low quality materials in order to further increase their profits, and its only when something goes wrong do you get to hear about it, believe me there are many instances where this has been caught and nipped in the bud before it has affected a tenant.

Short of having someone from Sheffield Homes looking over the shoulder of every workman there is always going to be some people who try to bodge a job and these are the stories that get told you rarely hear of people posting that their decent homes work was good.

but dont let that get in the way of a rant:rolleyes:

Some information about the increase of 6.8%. The average basic council rent in Sheffield is currently £58 a week, going up to just over £62 with the increase. The average for the biggest properties is going up to £75, with the smallest increasing to around £53.

For properties with some forms of heating, the tenants pay the heating costs along with their rent. This leads to some saying they pay a much higher level of rent, but in fact it is a separate cost. The heating charges are actually reducing in 2011 by around 10%. Furnished properties also carry an additional charge, and water rates are collected by the council and are shown on the rent accounts. Sheltered housing may also carry extra charges for warden services.

There has been a push for a number of years to slowly equalise rents for all social housing of similar types - ie keeping rent increases down for housing associations, whilst raising them for council housing.

I went to a meeting a couple of weeks ago when the rent rises were discussed with a group of tenant reps.

Rent in both HAs and council properties has been increasing at inflation + 0.5% annually for a while now.

Some information about the increase of 6.8%. The average basic council rent in Sheffield is currently £58 a week, going up to just over £62 with the increase. The average for the biggest properties is going up to £75, with the smallest increasing to around £53.

For properties with some forms of heating, the tenants pay the heating costs along with their rent. This leads to some saying they pay a much higher level of rent, but in fact it is a separate cost. The heating charges are actually reducing in 2011 by around 10%. Furnished properties also carry an additional charge, and water rates are collected by the council and are shown on the rent accounts. Sheltered housing may also carry extra charges for warden services.

There has been a push for a number of years to slowly equalise rents for all social housing of similar types - ie keeping rent increases down for housing associations, whilst raising them for council housing.

I went to a meeting a couple of weeks ago when the rent rises were discussed with a group of tenant reps.

:huh::huh::huh::huh: i dont understand this post please explain

Also, one thing I discovered was that with my salary (before my disability cost me my job), no bank would give me a mortgage sufficient to buy a property, never mind maintain it.

I elected to rent a Council property as I needed long tenancy security, and all the private landlords refused to accept me despite being in receipt of Benefits due to my disabilities rather than being unemployed. I know that shouldn't be an issue, but sadly it is.

That's precisely what social housing is for. You are effectively excluded from private renting and home ownership. That's why it makes me mad when people complain about the lower rents in social housing - if they were at market rate there'd be hundreds of thousands of people unable to make the rent.

Bout time too, there pretty low as they are, dont think 7% is enough though.

why because you dont want council property why should we pay the earth for those who do live in council properties?

Apparently theres loads of houses round the Gleadless area where the windows are having to be re-done.

Something to do with the cheap sealer they have used on them, next door reckons hers used to rattle the workmanship was that shoddy.

She had hers done the other day, this all came from a petition from a local fella who said the work was a disgrace.

like our plumbing very bad workmanship