Getting rid of my car.. how long will I last?

i havent been able to drive for 6 months due to injury.

i needed the car before i was off work sick to get to and from work as buses didnt run at the times i worked.

now my place of work has been transferred to much nearer home so when i go back to work i can easily walk to and from (or get taxis home late at night) and i found that the only thing i really found difficult about not being able to drive was doing the monthly shop (i hate food shopping so only do it once a month). also eventually my place of work will change again and i could end up anywhere in south yorkshire.

before i had a car i used to walk everywhere, and have gotten back into that habit now.

soon my car will be back on the road, but i cant see myself ditching it. the convenience is too appealing and if i want to be able to visit my family i prefer the 2 hour drive to the 5 hours/3 trains debacle i would have to endure otherwise.

and its much easier to be able to make a list and buy lots of things and get them home on my 'hit and run' trips to meadowhell compared to the tram, then i dont have to go there more than once every few months....

No you dont need to notify anyone if you are continuing to insure the vehicle,just Dvla/sorn For no tax if its expired.

If you cancel the insurance then Dvla req notice of that too.

Depending on where you keep your car I'm sure you can get a policy where the car is covered when its SORN or just take the risk.

I will be SORNing the car, but do I need to notify the insurance as well to tell them I'm not driving it?

Personally even with the car sorned I would keep the insurance ongoing, at least your car would be covered for any damage should anyone attempt to break into your garage and attempt to steal the car.

I got rid of my car about a month ago and its driving me nuts, i feel like my right arm is missing :(

I've managed quite happily without a car all my adult life. Doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

Its mornings like this when I am glad i have the car, cant imagine standing at a bus stop when its cold dark, raining and blowing a gale! give me my nice warm comfortable car anyday

I've owned a car for the last 10 years, and driven mainly for work (as I have to travel around the South Yorkshire area) and long distance visiting family etc. My car tax expires tomorrow night, and I have decided to garage the car and see how long my family can last without it! Fortunately, I am working only one and a half miles from home for most of February, so can easily walk to work and back! Some of my friends think I will be rushing to tax the car by the end of the week, but I am intending to prove them wrong! Has anyone else voluntarily given up driving recently? We have a toddler, but are fortunate enough to live on the tram route so should (hopefully) be able to get everywhere we need to go!

could never live without using my car as using public transport adds a lot to the journey time and when you work 11 hour days like I do, its something i can do without

I am sure you will survive, we got rid of our car years ago. I use public transport, no overheads from running a car - so more money going on petrol, road tax, repairs and no worries about parking or accidents.

I have my shopping delivered fortnightly ... its free over £100....I feel like I have one less thing to worry about.

My car hasn't moved for nearly 3 weeks.

I've got a bike and legs, which do me for most things. I wouldn't be without my car, but I rule it, not the other way round. You'll be surprised by how much ground you can cover in a short space of time on a bike, and the amount of junk you can stuff into a pannier is incredible...

Its mornings like this when I am glad i have the car, cant imagine standing at a bus stop when its cold dark, raining and blowing a gale! give me my nice warm comfortable car anyday

same here, today!

my balance is shocking at the minute as im still recovering from a broken leg, and if it wasnt for the car i wouldnt have been able to manage the walk/bus/walk to hospital this morning without getting blown over.

i've been good getting the bus to hospital every week for 6 months. now i've realised that parking is only £2 rather than £4.30 for the bus, i'll be driving from now on.