Kindle/i pad etc VS books

I love books, proper books, they smell great, you can read them in the bath, dry them out when you drop them in the bath. Recycle them to generate money for charity.

I read about 3 books a week then drop them off at the charity shop and buy some more, it's my way of giving whilst getting a reward.

Can't be doing with gadgetry in the bath, and you can't flick through a kindle when your on the throne :D

they started some thing where you finished a book and left it on the bus or park bench or something and whoever gets it next does the same. was a brilliant idea. not sure if it caught on.

i have tried the kindle on the throne:suspect: (tried it every usual place), it's not natural.

I think books are just a more tangible form of written text, they will definately be around much longer than electronic books.

I have an e reader,but you can also put films on it ,and photos. As i like to travel as often as i can it will be used a great deal. Oh forgot you can also put your music on it too. But i agree a real book when at home is a must,

Thanks for that. - I've only tried reading books/text on a computer and - like the reviewer - I was dissatisfied with that.

I'll check out Kindle. - Not just for my own use, but also for my wife who is a prolific (and extremely fast) reader. The amount of money she spends on paperbacks is impressive and we have sacks full of them to get rid of.

I would want to 'try befoe I buy' though.;)

I have an e reader,but you can also put films on it ,and photos. As i like to travel as often as i can it will be used a great deal. Oh forgot you can also put your music on it too. But i agree a real book when at home is a must,

for the movies and music sounds a good idea.

i love reading but time usually allows me to read in the bath or when travelling one day i might invest but happy with printed for now and i take to work we have a swop book shelf

Here we both love reading, and of course love books. But we only have so much room that we can fill with books. It's getting a tad ridiculous. So the Kindle is great if only from a saving wall-space aspect.

Yeah you don't quite get that same atmosphere of page turning, but, really, with a good book, you're following the story, not the medium.

The Kindle is great to read off because of the technology involved. There's no harsh refreshing or backlight to produce eye-strain, it's essentially just like reading a print book, but you can store 100s of them on 1 device.

Also, if you finish a book, you can connect up and get a new one without having to move.

Much as I love real books my eyesight isn't that good these days and I find the ability to enlarge the text on electronic books a great help.

You can't buy second hand books for a Kindle.

I've tried them and just don't like them. They feel so impersonal and I find I can't get into an e-book.

Its been said that the glow from an e-reader disrupts your sleep pattern.