Our Petition for Tougher Sentencing over Sheffield Punch Death

Thank you so much :)

Is it not possible to appeal against the sentence being too lenient?

A prosecutor can send a case to the Attorney General to ask that he/she consider referring the case to the Court of Appeal on the grounds that the sentence is "unduly lenient" - in other words substantially less than the sentencing guidelines would indicate, without any apparent good reason.

If the case is referred to the Court of Appeal, the sentence may be increased if the court agrees that the original sentence imposed was "unduly lenient".

However, this form of appeal is only available for the more serious types of offence.

There is a very strict time limit of 28 days from the date of sentence in which to refer a case.

A victim can also ask the Attorney General directly to refer a sentence on these grounds, if it is a type of case that the law allows the Attorney General to refer.

I'm seven different kinds of 'not a lawyer' so I really have no idea.

Signed. Not only for Nathan, his family and friends also for those other victims where the perpetrator/s have received trivial sentences.

signed and posted on facebook. good luck with this x

Thanks to all of those who have signed. Though it looks like nothing can be done about Nathan's killer hopefully this will bring some awareness to those who are high enough up to make a difference that society is not happy with someone taking a life and serving less than they would get for committing fraud or robbing goods.

Nathan's family, friends and I all truly appreciate the support and hope that you can spread the word and get more people aware and get more signatures to have the biggest impact possible.

Thank you again for taking the time to sign it!

signed, absolute disgcrace how life seems to be so lowly valued, would be a different story of the guy who got punched was a copper/royalty etc etc

Never been justice and if it was a loved one of mine killed I would have to seek my own. shocking stuff, and best of luck mate

Signed and hope he gets another 10 years on top. It is disgusting the sentences given out now days, what ever happen to life for a life, its not like he accidentally hit the lad.

Signed. Crimes like this are scary. Killing someone for no reason at all is surely as bad as killing someone for a reason (pre-meditated) so why the huge descrepency in jail terms?

We really appreciate all you signing thank you! Thanks also for the advice about the No10 Petition page, we will be looking into that.

Signer 480. The crime and the law is shameful.