Jimmy hagen sheffield united

I too regard Jimmy Hagan as the most skilful player United ever had,a joy to watch him play. I remember a match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the late 40's. United kicked off,and the ball was passed to Hagan who immediately set off for Chelsea's goal. He beat player after player and scored,a wonderful display of his skill.It was shameful he only had one England cap.

He and Brookes,the other inside forward,had a sports shop on London road,opposite Hill street and Wigfalls

How they could use his skill in the current team.

I remember Jimmy Hagen playing football for England against Australia in 1951 They won one game 17-0. He must have played more than once for England on this tour. Probably not regarded as a full international game at that time. He was a very fine player with great ball skills and certainly knew how to score goals.

did he used to live on bishopscourt road? - i know someone from the blades lived at the end of my grandads road during that era

he used to walk to the match with my grandad, you couldnt imagine it now!!

I think he lived on southbourne rd [oppsite the botanical gardens]

My grandad said it was between him and Jackie Robinson who was the best player Sheffield ever had.

My dad says although Jackie Robinson was a great footballer, he wasn't as good as Jimmy Hagen.

He was the partner of Harold Brook in a sports shop at the bottom of London Road, circa 1953, my grandad took me for my first cricket bat and Jimmy Hagan served us.

I first went to "lane in 1938 and SU had player called Jock Dodds who once cracked in a goal from near the half way line and it went like a bullet just inches off the ground.

I saw Jimmy Hagan play during the war alongside Nightingale who invented the dive in the penalty area. Hagan at the time was the only player who could catch the ball on his foot. He was along with Shackleton of Sunderland the two outstanding players I remember. A rumour went round at the time that he was a fully qualified accountant, he certainly looked it.

Shackleton wrote a book and in it was a blank page except for the heading which read:-

What directors know about football.

I was at Roker Park in the 50s and Shacks had this thing about ref's blowing the whistle for a goal before the ball had crossed the line. He dribbled past a few players then kicked the ball towards goal then stopped it before it crossed the line, yes the Ref. had blown his whistle, what a laugh, they were playing Pompey and won 4-1 if I remember.

My youngest daughter's middle name is Hagan after the legend.

I'd pay good money to watch this lot play once again .... even though they were a Div 2 side back then (early 70s).

Alan Hodgkinson, Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Len Badger, Billy Dearden, Gil Reece, John Flynn, Colin Addison, Geoff Salmons, Ted Hemsley, Eddie Colquhoun, John Tudor, David Powell, Peter Crawford, Frank Barlow, Pat Buckley, John Barnwell.

Add Jimmy Hagan, Doc Pace, Keith Edwards (for his goals) to the mix, and I think I'd be in heaven.

Oh, and nearly forgot Trevor Hockey ........ for the blood and guts factor.

Edited by saxon51

I'd pay good money to watch this lot play once again .... even though they were a Div 2 side back then (early 70s).

Alan Hodgkinson, Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Len Badger, Billy Dearden, Gil Reece, John Flynn, Colin Addison, Geoff Salmons, Ted Hemsley, Eddie Colquhoun, John Tudor, David Powell, Peter Crawford, Frank Barlow, Pat Buckley, John Barnwell.

Add Jimmy Hagan, Doc Pace, Keith Edwards (for his goals) to the mix, and I think I'd be in heaven.

They weren't Div 2 for long mate.

Jimmy Hagan once tried to shoulder charge a keeper into the net, that was before all this can't touch the goalkeeper crap.

Football was fun then, none if this childish name calling between the clubs. The Glasgow crowd were the best when we played that city every year. Oh! the good old days.

Sorry saxon 51 the BLADES won promotion in 70/71 so the (early70s) Div 2 quote dont ring quite right i only saw the last few years of Hagan i started going in the 52 season Hagan finished in the 58 one his party piece was to train with a tennis ball the song of that time sung to the tune of "Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen" was "Wonderful wonderful JIMMY HAGAN he's the best player in the land When he scores a goal you can hear them roar and their flocking too the stands" and so on i also remember the team you mention and yes a lot of very happy memories i also remember the 60/61 promotion side and believe me a lot of the players of that side were even greater than the players you mentioned you mentioned Hodgkinson and Pace but we also had the two Shaws JOE and Graham Ces Coldwell Richardson Summers Allchurch Kettleborough Hodgson and Simpson in that side none of this rotation rubbish that side played week in week out season after season if you look at the attendance records of the players mentioned most go into hundreds and far fewer games played then you mentioned Peter Crawford cant say we saw him play that many games in a Blades jumper Bob Widdowson & Des Thompson spring to mind i also remember the song " HO no Frank Barlow" ringing around the ground and the Stretford end 71/72 season singing "Werewolf " to the late great Trevor Hockey (RIP) this is NOT a dig at you because (WERE ALL BLADES AREN'T WE) we have seen the GOOD times and we have seen the BAD times but isn't that what makes us BLADEMEN like you i will STILL be there NEXT SEASON UTB.:love: .

i have got a black and white photo of Jimmy Hagan, sheffield united football player and its signed on the back by him, would anybody know if it is worth anything????