EMA to be scrapped

RUBBISH !!!!!

If you do a 10 hour job at the Weekend....

£5.93 and hour x 10 = £59.30 each week.

You get experience - good for a CV

YOu meet new people - good for your social life

You make a start in life - good for your future

Alternatively, you could feel sorry for yourself and blame EMA being cut for your own downfall

Many people I knew came under alot of pressure from their parents at 16 to go out a get a job to support their family and contribute to the household budget. Their parents simply couldn't afford to carry on supporting them.

Lots of people have a part time job and EMA, yet still struggle.

I still think you should have mroe respect for students. Why bother being a teacher if they are all a waste of space? Doesn't that make your job pointless?

I totally get where you are coming from with regards to how some students behave. Not sure I would agree that "most students are a waste of space" though.

I do it for the money and my students do get lots from the lessons I teach. As I said, what I say and what I think when in work are two different things

Fact is, many will fail in life and it will be entirely there own fault.

Also, many of these kids have gone through a school system that encourages failure, creates false league tables, inflates the grades etc.... sadly, when these young people do get work, the reality of life will hit them hard.

There was a poll done that said 30% of those in receipt on EMA would not have been able to go to collage without it.

EMA has only been around for, what, 6 years?

What happened before it was introduced? Did 16 year-olds not bother to go to college?

Didn't today's students do enough collage in primary school?

1) students being kicked off apprenticeships, because the can't get a work placement

2) Desperate underfunding of equipment needed so students to complete their studying.

BUT

1) For equal ops courses - these has been a bottomless pit of money.

2) Funding for Learndirect - for their micky mouse courses

3) Funding for non courses such as A4e

the list could go on.....

But why would 6th formers at any college need it for meals? We both work, yet our children had to take home made sandwiches,even in the 6th form, just as we do ourselves to work. Its the only way to make ends meet. And they certainly don't need £30 for stationary a week. Don't they get 40p bus fares in Sheffield, thats £4-£8 a week, if you have to get a bus atall.

And what happened to getting a Saturday job? Part time jobs are there if you want them.

No that finishes when they are 16 so it's more like 4 quid a day. And as I said before, it's all well and good to say your children get home made stuff but what about the kids who come from families who's parents don't give a ****?

See you all think you know what you're on about but you don't have a clue do you?

Edited by Forumosaurus

I do it for the money and my students do get lots from the lessons I teach. As I said, what I say and what I think when in work are two different things

Fact is, many will fail in life and it will be entirely there own fault.

Also, many of these kids have gone through a school system that encourages failure, creates false league tables, inflates the grades etc.... sadly, when these young people do get work, the reality of life will hit them hard.

Fair points. It's such a shame though. I've always been academically minded and have always done well at school, but classes were, a lot of the time, spoilt by students who didn't want to be there. It's still happening to a certain extent now, even at degree level.

Do you think it would be a good thing if less students came to college and just went into full time work? Serious question! :)

And sues_budgie-I work part time and I a lot of the customers are arses. I guess me coming home and whinging about them is just the same as what you've said about the students. Neither of us do it to their faces; it would be inappropriate. Apologies for being so snappy. I'm in a foul mood tonight :D

EMA has only been around for, what, 6 years?

What happened before it was introduced? Did 16 year-olds not bother to go to college?

Didn't today's students do enough collage in primary school?

Well there are now an extra 30% going to collage now than when it was introduced.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6061794

I'm certainly not claiming that some of it isn't put to good use, what I am arguing is that it is the young that have got a very rough deal from the Coalition. I'd be cutting other things (Free bus passes, universal heating allowance) before I would cut EMA.

No that finishes when they are 16 so it's more like 4 quid a day. And as I said before, it's all well and good to say your children get home made stuff but what about the kids who come from families who's parents don't give a ****?

I don't mind Cameron but this is a huge mistake.

Put the blame where its due.

New Labour spent money on an unsutainable scale in the direction of education.

Long term members of staff were encouraged to throw sick for stress, which did mean an Agency worker took their lessons.

2 people being paid to deliver lessons. One doing the delivering and the other doing the skiving

Well there are now an extra 30% going to collage now than when it was introduced.

I'm certainly not claiming that some of it isn't put to good use, what I am arguing is that it is the young that have got a very rough deal from the Coalition. I'd be cutting other things (Free bus passes, universal heating allowance) before I would cut EMA.

Have they heck got a bad deal.

They need to remove the 'woe is me' attitude, get some backbone and get on with what they need to do.

In this case - get a job.

How did students go to college before 2004 when EMA did not exsist?

In my case, I had two part time jobs

How did students go to college before 2004 when EMA did not exsist?

In my case, I had two part time jobs

30% of them didn't go.

Yes,kill the old off to give to the students for booze.Great