ADHD or Just Naughty kids "the Star"

Im glad common sense has prevailed on this thread. I have long believed that though autism, adhd etc exist that they really are commonly used to excuse bad parenting. My OH's auntie has a child who is basically the child of satan, she has autism and adhd according to her mum and the school. Now the fact that mummy spends her time drinking and smoking and actually doesnt even respond when said child kicks the cat, undresses and runs around, steals things, slaps a guest etc clearly is the root of this. She isnt ill she is just un-parented and incredibly naughty. And 'cos of our stupid silly society mummy can label her as ill and get away with sitting on her ass and using her benefits money to drink and ignore the child that brings her these payments!

personally, while i think that there are plenty of ADHD sufferers that truly have problems the label "ADHD" is just used alot to explain away naughty kids and bad parents. I remember when i was at school the majority of the kids labelled with ADHD were from bad backgrounds, brought up poorly by 'parents' who couldn't give a s**t about them.

TV and video games are now the new parents. I've visited families on beautiful sunny days to find the 4 year old, nose pressed against the 45inch tv, in a darkend room playing a gaming console. When really he needed positive stimulation and interaction with mum and dad out in the sunshine, perhaps playing with other neighbours children.

What older generations perceive as "normal" play - being outdoors, running around, exploring the immediate environment, climbing trees etc is now not so normal.

Kids still have energy to burn and that energy can spill out when they become bored (eg at school). Teachers are expected to control that energy by demanding that the child focus their attention on something that is far less interesting to them (even if important) than their latest computer game.

I doubt that there are many kids with "Hyperactivity disorder" but many kids with a normal activity requirement that is not being met.

I doubt that there are many kids with attention deficit disorder - they'll spend hours on their games consoles. They have a normal purpose requirement. We don't need to explain the purpose of entertainment to kids, but we do need to explain the connection between what kids learn in school and and how this will benefit them in years to come.

If a child has no sense of the purpose of school and an excess of energy you can imagine the result.

Maybe we should consider the kids who "behave" the broken ones - the ones society broke to make the lives of parents and teachers easier? The ones who have no interest in physical activity and do what they're told without question?

What can we do? Here's an idea ...

[/b]n

Why dn't you come and spend a day with my autistic son before you start saying its cool. He struggles with what "normal":loopy: people would call minor on a daily basis.

I am also deeply offended by you thinking autism is the parents fault.

You seriously need some educating :rant:

Hold on sweetheart, he didn't say all children labelled autistic are faking it or suffer from bad parenting :)

As another issue, it's woefully inaccurate to only label children from poor and / or broken backgrounds as suffering these conditions. I'm aware of one child similarly labelled with some condition... perhaps the medical experts who diagnosed the child where intimidated by the parents' standing in the local community and six-figure income so chose not to criticise the parents who regularly work overseas and leave the child in the care of a nanny...

:help:

x x x

I personally believe that ADHD is a label created by the medical profession to account for a lack of discipline. If a child misbehaves, it is disciplined. If it does not learn, the discipline is stepped up. The child will realise that compliance is the only option eventually.

My favourite is Oppositional defiant disorder, in other words, your kid doesn't like the word 'No'. What a wooly, half arsed excuse for poor parenting.

I personally believe that ADHD is a label created by the medical profession to account for a lack of discipline. If a child misbehaves, it is disciplined. If it does not learn, the discipline is stepped up. The child will realise that compliance is the only option eventually.

My favourite is Oppositional defiant disorder, in other words, your kid doesn't like the word 'No'. What a wooly, half arsed excuse for poor parenting.

bang on the money mate too many parents havent got a clue how to bring up their kids and the end result is we all suffer.they dont know the meaning of dicipline.

:)

bang on the money mate too many parents havent got a clue how to bring up their kids and the end result is we all suffer.they dont know the meaning of dicipline.

Alot of Autistic kids have no idea what discipline is, they see the world through eyes very different to ours and no amount of trying to instill discipline in them will work because they just cannot understand what it is.

Ps. You're sigs a bit way off the mark, child benefit is paid regardless of whether you are in work or not :)

and sadly many people posting on here have no idea what bringing up an autistic child does to the child, the parents and the family unit as a whole.

'Walk a mile in my shoes' is the statement that comes to mind.

Of course there are those that will abuse the system. Sensationalist reporting does nothing to assist in telling the true stories , the real stories of peoples experiences on a day to day basis.Only by living this life can one truly understand it.

Sadly there is still much ignorance and misconception surrounding the behaviours of children with an ASD.

Quite the opposite is required for some children with an ASD.

This may be of interest to some of you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12359070

so it is the health professionals lack of knowledge on the subject that is contributing to the problem.Just prescribing ritalin for an active or an over active child is not going to solve the problem.