Reception January 2011

If you want to use nursery as well as school you'll have to pay for it, as the funding goes to school once they start. However, as I understand it you can stay at Nursery and use your 15 hours until they start school, they wouldn't have to stay at home.

My little girl should be a Jan 2012 starter but she'll be starting in Sept 2011. I think she'll be fine but I know some parents will want to keep their little ones in nursery as they might not think they are ready for the step up.

Yes kids that should start in January 2012 can now start in September 2011 if you wish, either 15 hours or full time.

Oh - I had misunderstood - so children can go to school even earlier now?

I thought the latest views of teachers were that too many were already attending school who weren't ready too (couldn't tie shoe laces/ get dressed/ wipe bottoms/ sit for an hour/ organise self/ help themselves to lunch etc) which was distracting teachers from being able to actually teach .

I know one teacher who has to allow a whole afternoon just to undertake a 1/2 hour PE lesson because of the numebr of children who cannot get changed/ put plimsolls on / line up etc. ....

Oh - I had misunderstood - so children can go to school even earlier now?

I thought the latest views of teachers were that too many were already attending school who weren't ready too (couldn't tie shoe laces/ get dressed/ wipe bottoms/ sit for an hour/ organise self/ help themselves to lunch etc) which was distracting teachers from being able to actually teach .

I know one teacher who has to allow a whole afternoon just to undertake a 1/2 hour PE lesson because of the numebr of children who cannot get changed/ put plimsolls on / line up etc. ....

Yes, though it's up to parents what they want to do. But yes my daughter should start Jan 2012 but we can send her from Sept 2011 if we wish, which we most likely will do.

Though tecnically I think you can wait until the term after the child's 5th birthday if you wish, this is when they should start by law I think.

Yes, though it's up to parents what they want to do. But yes my daughter should start Jan 2012 but we can send her from Sept 2011 if we wish, which we most likely will do.

Though tecnically I think you can wait until the term after the child's 5th birthday if you wish, this is when they should start by law I think.

You are right - technically they only have to be in school once aged 5....so for some children that could be year laterr than they are currently "expected" to start eg a child born in August 2007 will be 4 in August 2011 and under these proposals could start school in Sept 2011 - but legally does not have to start until Sept 2012 ie after their 5th birthday.

it would take a brave parent to do that though I guess.

My daughter who is starting this september only turns 4 end of july this year, you have got me worrying about the whole thing now. but they must know what they are going to be letting themselves in for. or will they!! ?

My daughter who is starting this september only turns 4 end of july this year, you have got me worrying about the whole thing now. but they must know what they are going to be letting themselves in for. or will they!! ?

Under the old rules she'd start Jan 2012, but she can now start Sept 2011 though this is your choice, she doesn't have to if you don't think she's ready for it.

My daughter is 4 at the beginning of May so I'll let her start in Sept.

My daughter started school this week, she's a late August baby so one of the youngest in her year, if not the youngest. I think she could have started school in September like all the other children, as she has coped really well. She's not a shy girl, so I think that helps. My second child is a July baby, so I'll have similar concerns with her, but I need to see what her personality is like before making a judgement for her.

In Rotherham they only have one intake a year so everyone is expected to start in the September - full time. Even though in other areas they would start in the January intake or Easter intake. From what I understand this is the way that most areas seem to be going, of having the one intake per year.

I'm not sure how true it is but I heard today that they have to use the 15 hours for for school and can not stay on in nursery? So they either leave nursery and stay home from sept till Jan or they go 15 hours or full time if you wish? I was under the impression that if you wanted them to stay on in nursery until January for the 15 hours you could do that but unsure now?

You can still use your 15 hours free entitlement at any nursery, childrens centre, pre-school, parents can however choose to take their children to school instead as from September.

You are right - technically they only have to be in school once aged 5....so for some children that could be year laterr than they are currently "expected" to start eg a child born in August 2007 will be 4 in August 2011 and under these proposals could start school in Sept 2011 - but legally does not have to start until Sept 2012 ie after their 5th birthday.

it would take a brave parent to do that though I guess.

I think (could be wrong) that it is only referring to reception intakes and not school years. So a child will start Y1 in September no matter when they are born.

Example my daughter born October 2006 should start reception in September a child born 31/8/07 would normally start Jan (2012) parents of both children can now decide when they start reception Sept/Jan or they can keep the child in nursery (not sure about funding) or at home until September 12 when they would go straight into mainstream schooling in Y1.

My daughter is ready to start school now so will be going in September as planned no way would I miss out reception as I think it is all part of the learning process - going to school 5 days a week is hard work for a 4/5 year old.

I have only recently moved to Sheffield from Cambridgeshire. (my sons arein y1 & y4). In Peterborough children start reception the September after their 4th birthday, so even a child born late August would start Reception in September. They would normally have 2 weeks of either just mornings or just afternoons, then full time school. I always thought it was the same everywhere else. Doesn't the system of January intake mean half the kids in the class are behind the rest of the children who started in September? I am just wondering as me & my husband are planning to have a child next year so I'd like to know about the schooling arrangements here.

Edited by jess.s
spelling

I have only recently moved to Sheffield fom Cambridgeshire. (my sons arein y1 & y4). In Peterborough children start reception the September after their 4th birthday, so even a child born late August would start Reception in September. They would normally have 4 weeks of either just mornings or just afternoons, then full time school. I always thought it was the same everywhere else. Doesn't the system of January intake mean half the kids in the class are behind the rest of the children who started in September?

That is the arguement behind having just the one intake... the two intake policy is about trying to get start school when they are mature enough. The problem with both systems is that they do not take into account that children are indivudals!!! ... and that some starting receptionat a few days short of 5 may actually be less ready for school than the one who has just turned 4!