Gilletts Bread.

SUTman

Remember a school mate ran down a steep embankment from Adkins Road Southey and across Herries Road. He was hit by a Gillotts Bread van, but survived. The lad's name? Gillott. Fate or what. Good job his name wasn't Blue Circle.

I left school and went to Gillotts in 1958 as a van lad working Parson Cross with Horace Ratcliffe. I remember Tony and his wife. Also a very nasty accident in the garage when a mechanic died when a van on a ramp caught fire.

yes i still work't there when the accident happend smashing lad & a very good machanic. Horace Ratcliffe had one of the top rounds cheers.

Does anyone remember Gilletts or Gillotts Bread? Dont know the correct spelling of the company but I seem to remember the existence of the company in the fifties. I never worked for them or had any connections but its just a curiosity.
HI SUTman l was the first to reply to you, and just as l was to submit l lost it, [don't know how,] so after 2 hours of searching with out a result now a short reply. l used to play as an 11 year old with Colin Gillott son of the firm and needless to say we stuffed ourselves with pastries when Colin sneaked the back door key to the bakery,this was about 1934, so that may surprise you as to how old the firm was, but it was certainly in existence before the war, l don't know when the firm closed but well after the war. l lost touch with Colin when l started to play with girls instead of boys but l heard the poor lad committed suicide a few years later, we both went to All Saints School which incidentally was the very top building of Lyons St and the bakery was the very bottom. Cheers Skeets

HI SUTman l was the first to reply to you, and just as l was to submit l lost it, [don't know how,] so after 2 hours of searching with out a result now a short reply. l used to play as an 11 year old with Colin Gillott son of the firm and needless to say we stuffed ourselves with pastries when Colin sneaked the back door key to the bakery,this was about 1934, so that may surprise you as to how old the firm was, but it was certainly in existence before the war, l don't know when the firm closed but well after the war. l lost touch with Colin when l started to play with girls instead of boys but l heard the poor lad committed suicide a few years later, we both went to All Saints School which incidentally was the very top building of Lyons St and the bakery was the very bottom. Cheers Skeets

I am sure Colin did not commit suicide. He had a sister Edna. Colin married and had a son, his wife died in the 1970s? Colin worked as a mechanic.

Mr. and Mrs. Gillot lived at Normandale House, Loxley. My mother worked for them and we used to stay there when they went on holiday.

Edited by harvey19

The only slogan I remember running round the school playground singing went :-

Gillotts bread

Made of lead

If you were to eat it

You'd drop down dead.

We were a Flechers van bread family. Mainly because the driver allowed us, "strap", ie. credit to pay for our stuff on payday.

I am sure Colin did not commit suicide. He had a sister Edna. Colin married and had a son, his wife died in the 1970s? Colin worked as a mechanic.

Mr. and Mrs. Gillot lived at Normandale House, Loxley. My mother worked for them and we used to stay there when they went on holiday.

HI harvey19 Many thanks for your reply, l am so glad to hear l was wrong re;Colin l cannot recall who told me but it was over 40 years ago, here l am thinking and telling others the wrong facts all these years l have a school photo with Colin on it, do you know if he is still alive? i would like to get in touch.look out for the photo,thanks once again, arfer mo.

HI harvey19 Many thanks for your reply, l am so glad to hear l was wrong re;Colin l cannot recall who told me but it was over 40 years ago, here l am thinking and telling others the wrong facts all these years l have a school photo with Colin on it, do you know if he is still alive? i would like to get in touch.look out for the photo,thanks once again, arfer mo.

Colin and Manda had a son and daughter.

I am not sure if he is still alive but think that he is.

Ednas(daughter of Mr and Mrs Gillott) husband Bill died a couple of years ago.