Blood, a nice gift!

Personally, I can't even look at the bag when I give blood, but I went last week and have gone for testing for giving platelets and bone marrow too now.

Years ago, my wife insisted I went with her when she donated, and have just got my silver award!!:thumbsup:

I agree - it gives you a good feeling to do it, almost totally painless, the staff are fab, free tea and biscuits, and it gives someone a chance of life/ survival.

I refuse to give blood out of principle while the service remains homophobic (gay people are still banned from donating :rant:)

yes they are arnt they - not sure why though

It's because homosexual men are more at risk of HIV than other groups. And because HIV doesn't show in your blood for several months, by the time it's detected, you could have unwittingly passed the infection on to many more people.

I have given blood in the past but the rules changed a few years ago and anyone that had been a recipient of a blood transfusion after (i think) Jan 1985 was told they couldn't donate. This was really frustrating as it is those who have benefited from blood transfusions that are often most eager to contribute themselves. I would have died a few days after being born if I had not had a transfusion. Does anyone know if that rule still applies or if it has been changed again?

I think it still applies, I think it's in place to lessen the risk of CJD transmission (Mad Cow Disease)

x

but a pair of shoes - yes please - been t Meadowhall today and bought some. Wasnt even going for shoes either :hihi:

Of course you didn't... you went there for the authentic shopping experience instead, didn't you :suspect:

Castle Market beats Meadowhall any day :hihi:

x

I think it still applies, I think it's in place to lessen the risk of CJD transmission (Mad Cow Disease)

x

I understand this is a risk but in my case the blood transfusion took place 25 years ago, as far as I'm aware if I had CJD it would be evident after 15 years at the latest, certainly the same for Hepatitis and HIV. Also, the fact that I gave blood in the past means that it has been tested and clearly found to be negative for all these diseases so why can't I carry on? I'm not complaining becuase I know that the blood service have to cover their backs and do as much as possible to reduce risk, I just find it frustrating as I really wish I could!