Prescriptions at Doctors

I don't pay for my medication either, sorry :(

Don't worry too much though it's not smack and I do have a job :)

starting a rant but i have just taken my girlfriend to the doctor because she could not breath due to having a really bad cold anyway they put her on the Nebuliser for a while then prescribed her steriods, Anti Biotics and a throat spray. Write my rant is because i work i paid £21+ for all the items but whilke i was in the pharmacy a little smackhead came in and collected his replacement for herion at the tax payers expense!!! why should i feed his habit with my taxes! :loopy:

You should have been advised to get a pre pay,if you need to pay for more than 4 prescriptions items in 3 months, it's really worth getting, you can do it over phone and they give you a number to use at chemist until your card arrives so no hold up getting the items you need.

This is one of my gripes - waiting for ages at the chemist for medications to be prepared, and a line of druggies rock up to the counter and get served straight away - without paying, while you're stood there waiting like a pillock. Makes me so bloody angry. My son had a lactose intolerance problem which used to flare up regularly. The only thing that would allow him to tolerate small amounts of dairy was Lactase Enzyme from Holland and Barrett, but we had to pay for it - the nhs wouldn't prescribe it :mad: However, if he was a druggie he would get whatever he needed, free of charge, and without the need for that boring wait in the chemist. :rant:

However, if he was a druggie he would get whatever he needed, free of charge, and without the need for that boring wait in the chemist. :rant:

He still wouldn't have got Lactase Enzyme. The NHS doesn't supply it.

I believe they do, it is on a list of exemptions. Could be wrong though.

it's not on the list of exemptions

He still wouldn't have got Lactase Enzyme. The NHS doesn't supply it.

Yes, I know they don't supply it. That's why I get angry about druggies getting their methadone when other people (not just my son) who have a range of conditions cannot get the medications they require.

i'm on zero income at the moment, i get no benefits i have no savings, my partner earns £150 less than our rent/utilities a month yet the government says i have to pay for my prescriptions one of which is a course of antibiotics i have to take because of contracting a condition due to the environment i was working in (the reason i am out of work at the moment) and i still have to pay for my prescriptions which is £14 a month i've cut it down from £21 and i'm putting up with a serious dust allergy to save money

From the National Treatment Agency website:

It also estimated the benefit:cost ratio for drug treatment at 2.5 to 1. That means we generate £1.5bn of benefits for an expenditure of £600m for people in treatment within a year. So for every £1 spent on drug treatment society benefits to the tune of £2.50

The site is here: http://www.nta.nhs.uk/about-benefits.aspx

I know Sheffield Forum isn't really the place to cite facts, but perhaps posters could follow the link, educate themselves about drug treatment and stop making completely unfounded, inaccurate claims they seem to pull out of thin air?

Like so many other things since devolution it seems unfair. I want to know what they are going without to afford cheap prescriptions?

Indeed, and to be able to subsidise tuition fees. Madness, or more accurately, unfairness!

Honestly if he had a job and therefore could pay for his own prescriptions you would be complaining about an addict being offered a job when there are so many out of work!

And I think it was really rude of you to listen in on his private medical prescriptions then report it on a public forum! How would you like it if someone had been listening in about your girlfriend's treatments and thinking 'ooh I wonder if she smoked to get in that state, bla bla bla....' then you saw it on here! Whatever his prescription, he's still entitled to privacy.