Motorcycle shops long gone?

I was married to Wilf Green's youngest Son, Martin. If anyone remembers anything about the Family or Business before 1973 I would appreciate a bit of History for my Ancestry Tree.I am completely stuck on their ancesters.

Cheers

Wilf published a book in 1997 titled 'A Large Helping of Yorkshire Pudding' dealing with his life and times up to 1939 . . . but I guess you must have a copy?

Wilf published a book in 1997 titled 'A Large Helping of Yorkshire Pudding' dealing with his life and times up to 1939 . . . but I guess you must have a copy?
If not it's available via ABE Books or the OXFAM shop at Broomhill (a snip at £20)..:)

I was married to Wilf Green's youngest Son, Martin. If anyone remembers anything about the Family or Business before 1973 I would appreciate a bit of History for my Ancestry Tree.I am completely stuck on their ancesters.

Cheers

I have the photo of Wilf and his son Arthur which Wilf had hung up in his shop.He wrote books,I think the second one was called A Bit More Yorshire Pudding.I have both,sorry there not for sale they are both signed by Wilf personally.:)

I live in Eckington and Charlie Freemans old shop is now Flats, but they have called it Freemans Court and they did up his old house. My grandparents owened a bike shop pre-war. Crosslands on Crookes. I was brought up with the smell of 'Castrol R' and at Cadwell, Mallory etc watching Charlie and Nelson in the pits. I can still 'smell' Castrol R when I watch MOTO GP and Superbikes etc. If they made aftershave smelling of Castrol R, my husband would be a 'lucky man'!! Safe rides boys.

My next door nieghbour when i lived at Walkley used to say that the smell of my Ariel Leader when i kicked it up turned her on . I saw one going through Mabelthorpe last summer and realised just what she meant.

I think 'smells' bring back memories- like my nan's breadcakes in the oven! Yum hot breadcakes with loads of Drippin on. ooh my mouth is watering.

Ah, but there's nothing like the smell of a big BSA cooling down after a fast run on a rainy day - the steam coming off the engine block, mixed with the aroma of oil and grease..... But come to think of it, my grandma's breadcakes cooling down, or a lamb joint roasting in her fire oven - they smelled better!.:)

Dykes Hall Road - Hackenthorpe? I lived Hopefiels Ave Frecheville. We used to race to a Cafe at Cresswell as there was the long stretch to try and do the 'ton' only managed it once - well my boyfriend did have me on the back. I do not know how none of us ever got stopped - mind you coppers were still on push bikes in the early 60's

I think 'smells' bring back memories- like my nan's breadcakes in the oven! Yum hot breadcakes with loads of Drippin on. ooh my mouth is watering.

The smell of Lady,s Bridge when the brewery was working got it all day when working on the Market.

Edited by cuttsie

Dykes Hall Road - Hackenthorpe?.....
No, that's Dyke Vale Road (where a lot of our post used to go)..:(
The smell of Lady,s Bridge when the bruery was working got it all day when working on the Market.
Yep - though maybe it wasn't so much the smell as the thought of the end product!.:P

1981- richardsons on mansfield rd. my gp 100 was knackered, i bought a benelli 250 2c for £595 and thought id got the b*****s. big mistake, the most unreliable pile of s""t ever made.at 17yrs old, that tall bloke in blue smock always looked intimidating and reminded me of some dodgey bloke out of "the sweeney".charlies eckington had that petrol smell to it, bit like me grandads moggy minor.....takes me back!!:)