Motorcycle shops long gone?

Wasn't it Armando who had the little shop opposite the Abbeydale pictures?Machon Bank?

May have been called Empire Garage.

Wasn't it Armando who had the little shop opposite the Abbeydale pictures?Machon Bank?

No it was a chap that worked for Wraggs chesterfield smithy they called him, he had a habit of making a cha sound when he was doing a deal through his nose.

Then there was jack woods although his name was roy who worked for Walter Wragg he set up in Wilf Greens old shop on abbeydale road.

John cooper used to ride the gold star for wraggs he also had a tiger cub engine in a james frame he used to race .

Horridge and wildgoose was on the corner of london road and abbeydale road they were the triumph dealers further down was dans (dan bradbury)bsa aireal velocete dealers then further down was frank b roper vespa james frances barnet matchless then there was greys they used to sell in in 21shillings dont know what they called them think it was something like ginis bill beavers at firth park was bmw he used to race a sidecar outfit

I was married to Wilf Green's youngest Son, Martin. If anyone remembers anything about the Family or Business before 1973 I would appreciate a bit of History for my Ancestry Tree.I am completely stuck on their ancesters

Cheers[/quote

I whent to school with martin abbydale rd and king egberts he had a verry bad accident at one time he had a mate called nobby who I think worked at wilfs with him I would like to know about him

Ya Ravi took it over from them

When would that be?
I worked at Dan Bradburys with Ravi about 1973-4 I think he took it over about 79-time He was a grate guy although I dint like scooters much he tought me a lot about them he past away a few years ago very sad

Used to go to scott rd every weekend use to bring me bikes on his panther with side car well if you can call it a side car more a bike transporter on a bike :hihi:

Looks like you had same choice of bikes as well had all them only one i did not get was the Talisman Twin he had that at scott rd not sure what happen to that one could have been just before he passed away so did,nt manage to get it.

Tom worked just down the road from walter wragg ltd on wellington street the garage entrance new him well he moved to west bar as you say.

If you worked at dan bradbury you must have known Herbert day on thomas street used to rebuild wheels

I have a bsa rgs 1963 fully restored and a 1959 dbd34 gold star I take them to the I.O.M. every year

Tom worked just down the road from walter wragg ltd on wellington street the garage entrance new him well he moved to west bar as you say.

If you worked at dan bradbury you must have known Herbert day on thomas street used to rebuild wheels

Toms on copper st I bought a BSA d14 of him for £90 good little bike whent to brighton on it I remember a guy called Burt all fingers and thums in a little workshop off barnsley road I think he was near to them 2 brothers on scott road

Can anyone remember Kenyons on Rosell st Hilsbrough ,little back yard garage they dint sell bikes they did rebores and sold parts and things I think they ended up on devsion st in town the guy had big thick glasses and a bold head he allways had a white coat like a doctor. they had a lot of Villiers parts

Yes, I think it was Kenyons who skimmed the heads on my Ariel Arrow lifting the comp. ratio to 10:1. There also was a nut and bolt place, was it Oates, where the entrance to the Co-op underground car park is now.

Yes, I think it was Kenyons who skimmed the heads on my Ariel Arrow lifting the comp. ratio to 10:1. There also was a nut and bolt place, was it Oates, where the entrance to the Co-op underground car park is now.
Ya spent lots of money with them rebores crank grinds ect. I had a turbo twin that they rebored for me . I can remember oats I allways whent to Williams for nuts and things. bought an aerial leeder of a Indian doctor up Neather Edge once for £8.run it around for a bit it nipt up on me on abbeydale rd and threw me over the handlebars ''happy days Edited by Shogun