Motorcycle shops long gone?

CAROSIO Near to top of Wood St was Leather& simpsons double fronted shop ,workshop was in a side st opposite , in the 70s , Mr Simpson and his son David for a number of years had the repairs and equipment for the Recreation dept mobile patrol contract

I once took him a Triumph Bonneville that i found in boxes in a celler it took David 12 months to sort it out but eventualy it was back on the road the Bike was red and white with chrome mudguards it looked and sounded magnificent.

CAROSIO Near to top of Wood St was Leather& simpsons double fronted shop ,workshop was in a side st opposite , in the 70s , Mr Simpson and his son David for a number of years had the repairs and equipment for the Recreation dept mobile patrol contract

Yes, I remember his shop there, on the Kelvin side of the road. It was this shop where I ordered parts for my BSA A65 after I had an argument with the road.

Didn't Richardsons have a shop up Crookes? I remember trading in my Honda 400/4 there for a CX500.

Edited by carosio

Yes, I remember his shop there, on the Kelvin side of the road. It was this shop where I ordered parts for my BSA A65 after I had an argument with the road.

Didn't Richardsons have a shop up Crookes? I remember trading in my Honda 400/4 there for a CX500.

Sacrilege :o

Yes sorry you are right Aermatcchi.Harlely put some money into the company ,they wanted to extend there range, apparently it was not very successful the bikes had a lot of problems, I remember they made a 250cc two stroke chopper sort of bike, I had to do some work on one the flywheel ignition had packed up had a lot problems with it never got it going properly
That sounds like one that looks like the cruisers single or king and queen seat cow horns had one piece of poop.Tom did you come to our house on manor i know i had your mates bike up there for ages.Or did you only visit one on Darnall.

Sacrilege :o

I know, I know, don't remind me!

Not sure about crookes possible they was one there. Abeydale Rd and Mansfield Rd for sure i was based at manor top one.Although had odd visit to abeydale shop.

That sounds like one that looks like the cruisers single or king and queen seat cow horns had one piece of poop.Tom did you come to our house on manor i know i had your mates bike up there for ages.Or did you only visit one on Darnall.
No mate we had one in the back yard shop, it came in to be fixed don't think we ever got it going.was that bike Franks Suzuki 550 you had at your house ? we were supposed to be selling it for him or something , yes I came to your house on the manor. , Edited by Shogun

No mate we had one in the back yard shop, it came in to be fixed don't think we ever got it going.was that bike Franks Suzuki 550 you had at your house ? yes I came to your house on the manor. ,
Oh cant place one you say didnt get going.No this was a Honda could have been cb cj sumat like that.Brought it up in bits or you may have cant remember off hand who got it there or did we fetch it lol.

Was blue

You got me thinking what was in yard YDS7/Excelsior/suzuki 200/Greeves trials ??????

mind now blank

Edited by terminator

I did exactly the same as that,at Richardsons on Crookes in about 1980.The 400/4 in question was black with full "Mead Speed!" fairing,single seat and mud guard and a Yoshimura exhaust adapted from one for a 750/4.It had alloy wheels and looked the dogs.I think Ricardson sold it to someone in Wales and I saw it a couple of years later in a carpark at Sennen Cove in Cornwall. Small world!

[/b]

I did exactly the same as that,at Richardsons on Crookes in about 1980.The 400/4 in question was black with full "Mead Speed!" fairing,single seat and mud guard and a Yoshimura exhaust adapted from one for a 750/4.It had alloy wheels and looked the dogs.I think Ricardson sold it to someone in Wales and I saw it a couple of years later in a carpark at Sennen Cove in Cornwall. Small world!

That was a remarkable co-incidence. The 400/4 I had was standard except for S&W rear shocks and Dunlop TT100 ("trigonic") tyres, these made it handle beautifully except above 75mph when it was prone to weaving, even a steering damper wouldn't cure it.

i used to go in the flamingo/discjocky and take five in the early 60s on my ariel leader

There was a small motorbike shop at Ecclesfield,near the end of High Street (up from Marishels chippy,next to the jennal down to the park - now houses) we used to spend ages looking at bikes through the oil covered windows when we were kids :)

JJ..

The bike shop in Ecclesfield was owned by Ted Smith