Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

so you're saying that he has come to your house and rather give you the parcel, he has opted to take it back and put you a card through instead?:loopy: or are you going to say that he didn't bring your parcel just the card? if he's coming anyway, why would he not bring the parcel?:huh:

methinks you was still in bed!

Thanks for your input, but you're wrong.

Unlikely, but that was my idea for clearing the backlog.

Sort the parcels in the DO, give each 1 a unique number, post a card out to the recipient with their normal mail, they collect from the DO asap (no waiting 72 hours for it to be returned to the DO). The posties responsible for delivering the parcels normally could be used for sorting the parcels and providing extra man hours on the counter for better service / longer opening hours.

This actually sounds like a good idea to me. Especially if there were multiple parcels. I'd be quite happy to collect a number of parcels from the DO if it meant several other addresses could get theirs delivered.

well i can't speak for other offices but i know if i did that at ours i would be sacked!

Presumably only if you were caught!

Anyway, at least I know where my delivery is and with the extended opening hours on Wednesday it should be easy enough for me to collect it.

Wish i could get through on the phone to check if Theres anything at all i can pick up, haven't been able to get through for a fortnight. Might nip in on my way to town tomorrow

Had 2 RM vans delivery today - 1 item from 1st Dec, one from early last week. Just missing 2 now really. RM are doing loads better than hermes, had something "out for delivery" with them since before the snow :/

im same with hermes been out for delivery for 2 weeks cant get any sense out of them when i phone and tracking no tracks on their web site but according to operative on phone tracking no is to short

so you're saying that he has come to your house and rather give you the parcel, he has opted to take it back and put you a card through instead?:loopy: or are you going to say that he didn't bring your parcel just the card? if he's coming anyway, why would he not bring the parcel?:huh:

methinks you was still in bed!

Happened to me more than once, admittedly never with my regular postie.

I once heard the post come through, went to look and there was the "too big for letterbox card". The postie had only got 2 doors away and was just about to post another of these cards.

He'd not even fetched the parcels, just the prewritten out cards. I told him I'd report him if he didn't fetch the parcel within the hour (I was going to work).

He fetched it surprisingly enough.

I'm waiting for DVDs bought online at HMV....3 of them for my grandchildren. They were despatched on november 26th and december 5th.

HMV have asked me to report them officially missing by "signing" an online form as they're more than 14 days late. Tried ringing Woodseats depot several times this morning.....no answer, its constantly engaged. Decided to wait a couple more days and then I'm reporting them as lost, its ridiculous. I know the weathers been bad but if 2 of the 5 DVDs I ordered managed to get here where are the other 3??!!!!

Still engaged up at the depot and as far as I know they're only open a few hours in the mornings. Does anyone know if you can access the place on foot if I try and get up there after dinner???

I'm waiting for DVDs bought online at HMV....3 of them for my grandchildren. They were despatched on november 26th and december 5th.

HMV have asked me to report them officially missing by "signing" an online form as they're more than 14 days late. Tried ringing Woodseats depot several times this morning.....no answer, its constantly engaged. Decided to wait a couple more days and then I'm reporting them as lost, its ridiculous. I know the weathers been bad but if 2 of the 5 DVDs I ordered managed to get here where are the other 3??!!!!

Still engaged up at the depot and as far as I know they're only open a few hours in the mornings. Does anyone know if you can access the place on foot if I try and get up there after dinner???

Yes you can, but Im not sure if they will be open after dinner. They don't close until 7pm on wednesdays though, and may just tell you theres nothing there for you. I can't get them on the phone either.

The 2 parcels I got today were sent on Nov 30th and Dec 1st

I ordered from HMV in October. When processing the order it said delivery would take 1-6 working days. I rang HMV after two weeks and said they would check the status. I then received the cd 24 days after processing my order and that was before the snow and the run up to Xmas.

Also someone has just mentioned that they were in all day waiting for the postie for them to just post a returned to depot card. Well last week a DHL van pulled up outside our house while i was upstairs i Looked out of the window and saw him coming to my door with a parcel. I ran down the stairs to meet him before he knocked but he just posted a delivery card saying that he would leave it in a secure place, without even trying the door. I opened the door and said I'd just got the card and why hadn't he knocked. he said ' sorry I thought no one was in'. Then gave me my parcel. At least i received it though

We've finally had something through that was posted on the 2nd Dec, only trouble was it came at silly o clock this morning when we weren't up so will have to go down to the sorting office for it but thats no problem

Thanks both of you :)

Encouraging to read you've received 2 parcels Leah ordered around the same time as mine. I dont understand why 2 of mine have got here and 3 havent. My son thinks they'll get here eventually, he says give them till new year!!! :confused: Maybe I'll take a bus up to the depot on wednesday, see how it goes....More snow is forecast and I dont want to hike up there to find queues, I cant stand for very long.....

New2you.....HMV said the order would arrive in 2-5 days and usually they come very quickly....

Our post came a short while ago and the book my son ordered recently from Amazon was delivered along with a xmas card all the way from Bognor Regis...A card from family in Sheffield took 5 days with a 1st class stamp last week....You tell me whats going on?!!!!!!

Edited by chrisjuk

im same with hermes been out for delivery for 2 weeks cant get any sense out of them when i phone and tracking no tracks on their web site but according to operative on phone tracking no is to short

Mine was first despatched 26/11, and then they despatched it again last week (presumably a second order of the same stuff). One says 'out for delivery' since 29/11, the other now says 'receipt at depot' dated this morning. I'm scared to leave the house in case I miss it :(

I ordered early & now wish I hadn't ordered at all. Really hoping it arrives tomorrow. Nothing against the couriers, I know they have a lot to do with very little pay, and my orders never seem to have even reached the local courier to begin with.

I know hermes are cheap, but surely not cheap enough to be able to justify resending whole orders?

Gotta love fedex though - got a delivery from them just now & it's a day earlier than the estimate. Tracking was very thorough, I knew exactly where my order was at all times. Love it. This came from LA, economy and still managed to make it up here.

Back to RM, got nothing at all so far today, but feeling a lot more optimistic than I was that I'll get my missing parcels soon.