New Greystones pub

mikeypidge

:hihi::hihi:

Does the Greystones still only serve Thornbridge beers on handpump?

Yes.

They do have continental lagers on draft as well but in terms of "handpumps" only Thornbridge (usually). I say "usually" because I assume that from time to time they may have the occasional guest beer on - like the other Thornbridge pubs do.

Gosh, are we talking about the Greystones here. :o I thought there was a 'funny' crowd hanging around outside over the last few years, but thought they were local folk.

Is Greystones supposed be a good area then? I assumed it was because of the S11 postcode. I went to this pub last week for the first time ever. In fact, I don't think I'd ever been to Greystones area before. I expected it would be quite an upmarket neighbourhood.

I thought the pub was great actually and will be going back again - but what a strange neighbourhood Greystone's appears to be! You couldn't describe it as 'posh' could you? It was quite a surprise and a lot different to what I imagined it would be.

• 4 months later...
Greystones is a good area although would not discribe it as upmarket like say Whirlow or Dore.

Personally I always feel there are to many houses looking on to each other.

Poor old you! . . . . . . . Personally I'm from Sharrow. Loads of paupers houses looking over each other.

The Greystones only serves Thornbridge ales.

If you want a pub that serves a very impressive amount of guest beers, and around five draught 'continental lagers' plus a selection of very esoteric bottled beers kept 'round the back' (available by perusing a bottled beer menu!) then you really want the nearby Rising Sun at Fullwood.

http://www.risingsunsheffield.co.uk/

The Rising Sun is well known for the impressive array of hand pumps which can be found located across the entire length of the not exactly short main bar, 13 in all, with additional space taken up by a further 9 draught taps. It's not uncommon for customers to find themselves a little bewildered by the selection, and indeed 'window shopping ' is encouraged! Each pump boasts a miniature blackboard bearing a description of the ale [etc]

The only downside is that it's not a very welcoming place to newcomers - the Landlord really isn't that bothered in welcoming or recognising new faces, the staff are ambivalent on the whole - a bit disappointing for a 'community pub'

......but it's totally sterile!

"Sterile" if anything, is an improvement on the old Highcliffe. Maybe a visit when they have live music on in the back room will show more a bit more atmosphere.

It's OK, but there are other Thornbridge pubs which are much more convenient for me so I'm not sure I need to be going out of my way to visit.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

The Greystones only serves Thornbridge ales.

If you want a pub that serves a very impressive amount of guest beers, and around five draught 'continental lagers' plus a selection of very esoteric bottled beers kept 'round the back' (available by perusing a bottled beer menu!) then you really want the nearby Rising Sun at Fullwood.

http://www.risingsunsheffield.co.uk/

The only downside is that it's not a very welcoming place to newcomers - the Landlord really isn't that bothered in welcoming or recognising new faces, the staff are ambivalent on the whole - a bit disappointing for a 'community pub'

The Rising Sun does have one advantage over the Greystones in that, unlike Thornbridge pubs they do have guest ales on. However I have to say agree that it's not a welcoming place. Greystones is certainly more friendly then the Rising Sun.

The landlord isn't even welcoming to us locals....