Disgusting lack of public toilet provision in city centre.

I was shopping in Orchard Square today and came out of TKMaxx at 16.10. TKMaxx was still open. I went to the toilets in Orchard Square but they were closed. There was no sign anywhere indicating alternative provision. I think this is rubbish when the shops in Orchard Square were still open.

I walked to the Town Hall, getting a little desperate, so, prepared to pay 20p begrudgingly, if the toilets were ok, but no, they were closed. Shops all around me were open though, and the centre was very busy. I remembered that I had seen a public toilet further down the Moor, I can't stand the idea of those phone box type ones, but I was desperate, so I walked down to that one. The sign said occupied, I could hear water running inside, I waited about 10 minutes, it was obvious then, that it was not in operation.

I then walked to the bottom of the Moor, to find that these toilets were closed too, surprise, surprise, eh?

What are you supposed to do? Find an alley or doorway to relieve yourself? And risk getting in to trouble for indecent exposure, a fine, humiliation, going on the sex offenders register, and losing your job? Or just avoid going to the city centre? I pay a decent whack in council taxes, surely, the council can provide toilet facilities in the city centre. I am disgusted. Surely, if the city centre is so busy at that time on a Sunday, and especially as we are encouraged more to shop on Sundays in the run-up to Christmas, there should be public toilets in the city centre.

It also got me wondering, it's Fright Night in a couple of weeks on Sunday. What toilet provision will there be for the many thousands landing on the city centre?

Edited by Darth Vader

it's Fright Night next Sunday.

*rubs eyes, couldve sworn that said friday night lol

surely one of the pubs would let you use their toilet

*rubs eyes, couldve sworn that said friday night lol

Actually, glad you quoted that bit - it's not next Sunday, is it, there's a few weeks yet. - ammended.

surely one of the pubs would let you use their toilet

I think businesses in Sheffield are getting quite hostile to the public who are not customers - and even those who are customers! - like TJHughes! - using their toilets. I must admit, if I was a landlord, I wouldn't be pleased with non-customers coming in to use the loos, because of a lack of public provision.

Town Hall loos are ok are they not.

Not if they're shut....

It's no wonder businesses are now getting shirty with people popping in to use the loo - there simply aren't any actual public toilets in town. Another reason to use Meadowhall...

yes but OP said were closed today

To be honest, I thought they'd be half decent, mean as we pay council taxes, and have to pay for the privilige to use them too.

I'd have settled for anything really, at the time, though, but it seems the council can't even provide that.

I quite agree that the provision - or lack thereof - of public toilets is appalling.

Luckily, Debenhams and Atkinsons on The Moor have loos and, at the moment, no restriction on use.