Sheffield: In the North or Midlands?

Is this really a question?! I have just registered and the website registration actually asked me if Sheffield was in the North or the South! Is this a question you guys debate because Sheffield is is in the North I thought that would be obvious.

Oh, and hello!

It gave no Midlands option :suspect:!

I'm not a born and bred Sheffielder although I've spent a lot of time here ever since I was a kid, due to having half Sheffield family.

I understand why people would prefer Sheffield to be northern purely because of the better 'image' of Yorkshire and Northerners, but I'm a bit at sea as to the motives of the people who keep trying to prove that Sheffield isn't a Northern city? It happens pretty often on here so it must have some meaning for them.

Can Border Control and Heading North explain why it means so much to them that Sheffield should be in the 'North Midlands'?

Good question. Its the same with those who keep desperately trying to prove that Sheffield is in't 'north'. Its unprovable. Those who are most scared are the ones DESPERATELY hanging on by a thread as this fair City does geographically. In fact are we trying to escape from the midlands to the north (?)or the north to the midlands(?)..:D FACT this city is NOT geograhic north.. norhern ness is a state of mind... if northernness were a 'fact' then Sheffield wouldn't be it , because of its relative southernly geographic point at the northern tip of the Midland region. ANY fool can see that on a map ! Flippin' Gainsborough is more 'NORTHERN' by any measure.

I cannot convince those who desperately look north ( better to live in Barnsley for that ) no more than they can convince me..Until then I will always tell people that I am from Sheffield England, and if someione didn't know I would state its in the North Midlands , again a geographic undisputable FACT which obviously ruby dazzler on here who wants to hunt me and kill me for telling the truth:P doesn't like. Altogether now lets PUSH and concentrate like Uri Geller to see if we can push this fair North Midland City into't ''North''. Well its proving hard :o

:P

It's often a pain listening to the morning national weather forecast which usually divides England into Midlands...North East...North West ...and you sit there wondering if it's gonna be dry, showers, light rain or drizzle or heavy rain. Mind you, it's probably best not to listen to them at all.....

In the light of everything you've posted, I can only say, you're off your head, man! Only southern jessies want to be in the midlands :D

Sheffield is in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Yorkshire is in the North. Ergo - Sheffield is a Northern city. Sheffielders are Northerners. I was born in Heeley which is on the South side of the Sheaf, but please don't try to tell me I'm a Derbyshire or I shall have to hunt you down and kill you!

Now let's be said ...

I'm with you rubydazzler, although I was born in Jessops.

I live dahn sarf in East Anglia and I'm classed as 'northern'...........and proud of it.

In the light of everything you've posted, I can only say, you're off your head, man! Only southern jessies want to be in the midlands :D

Sheffield is in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Yorkshire is in the North. Ergo - Sheffield is a Northern city. Sheffielders are Northerners. I was born in Heeley which is on the South side of the Sheaf, but please don't try to tell me I'm a Derbyshire or I shall have to hunt you down and kill you!

Now let's be said ...

I'll ride shotgun if you like Ruby :cool:

Can't believe you're still going on about this. Didn't get any notifications before for some reason. Ah Ruby! What a delight you are!! I'm not a 'kid' and I'm not a 'he'. You is definitely a silly old bint!!

Sheffield isn't NORTH as such, that's just as silly as saying Sheffield is a 'vibrant, friendly CITY'. Ha Ha! I won't burst your bubble. I've lived and worked all over England, and Sheffield just is NOT any friendlier than anywhere else. Get over it! Why are Sheffield people so touchy about how 'Northern' and 'friendly' they are? What are you trying to prove? And I was born here, and have over 25 years experience of living in Sheffield.

Funnily enough The Sheffield Star has been designated in the the Johnston Press Groups Midland division. So North Midlands I would imagine?

North Midlands is the correct answer.

Can't believe you're still going on about this. Didn't get any notifications before for some reason. Ah Ruby! What a delight you are!! I'm not a 'kid' and I'm not a 'he'. You is definitely a silly old bint!!

Sheffield isn't NORTH as such, that's just as silly as saying Sheffield is a 'vibrant, friendly CITY'. Ha Ha! I won't burst your bubble. I've lived and worked all over England, and Sheffield just is NOT any friendlier than anywhere else. Get over it! Why are Sheffield people so touchy about how 'Northern' and 'friendly' they are? What are you trying to prove? And I was born here, and have over 25 years experience of living in Sheffield.

I see you're just as discourteous as ever, child, your wide experience of the country hasn't improved your manners, has it. :hihi:

If the only way you can have fun is to join internet fora and try to wind the residents up, and you're not a 'kid' either, I'm sorry for you. You must be a fool then. :P

At work today we've been discussing whether Sheffield is classed as being in the North or in the Midlands. Does anyone know of a way we can see officially which on it is?

Also, what do you think it is?

If you are talking about the British Isles then Sheffield is roughly in the middle, but if you are talking about the north of England which is what people mean when they talk about the north, then north of England would be right.

Besides which, Ruby is right. :D

To Dazzler. Ooh dear! Hit a nerve have we? Haven't been on here for weeks and you're still here chuntering on! I'm not discourteous, just pointing out that there does seem to be this protesting too much about being 'northern' and 'friendly'.

Sorry you can't take it. I'm a resident actually. Like I said, lived here 25 years off and on, and born here. I'm actually starting to feel a bit worried about you. If you ever feel the need to talk, call Samaritans - you know, the ones on Queens Road, where I used to volunteer. Yes, my wide experience of this country sniffs out BS in a second. I'll leave it to you to have the last word, you seem to need to.

Yes, it's obviously the only way I can have fun.

Edited by Honkytonk