Sheffield: In the North or Midlands?

Yes indeed. I am a Sheffield, not a Cockney.

I was not born within earshot of the bow bells. My accent bears no resemblance to a Londoners and I have never worked in the 'East End'.

And that would be why it's a metaphor, not literal truth.

And that would be why it's a metaphor, not literal truth.
It could even be a simile ... :)

I was born in Jessops and i am proud to be a Midlander ,the mines and steelworks have mostly gone now , so we dont want or need , that strong in the arm weak in the head Northern image .

If you get a map of England out Sheffield is a good contender to be

at the centre of England

Therefore should be Midlands?

No, it's a contender to be at the centre of Britain - an entirely different matter.

I heard someone on Sunday call Hull the "North East". I'd reserve that tag for Newcastle, Sunderland and the like. But I wouldn't call it "East", that's more Norfolk way.

So where is Hull then? :)

Hull is in the north too

The question was is Sheffield in the North or the Midlands. The answer's simple - Sheffield is in South Yorkshire and the whole of Yorkshire is in the North.

Bits of Sheffield may have been in Derbyshire (Midlands) once but have been taken over by Sheffield so are now part of Yorkshire/the North.

Sheffield's post code may stretch into Midland's places like Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire etc but that doesn't mean Sheffield is in one of those areas. Those areas just happen to fall in our post code.

Good to see an accurate answer amid so much speculation.

The Dore Stone marked the boundary between the old kingdoms of Mercia (Midlands) and Northumbria (the North).

So Sheffield is and always has been in the North. And always will be I sincerely hope.

*whispers in Hal's ear* You've not seen the other thread then? I'm just feeding Honkytonk's prejudices to see how much he'll swallow before he twigs ;)

Feeding MY predjudices!!

The thread the old bint refers to is one comparing Sheffield to London (as if there is any comparison anyway!!) in which 'incomers', as she arrogantly calls us, quite rightly state how anti southern, rude and nasty a lot of 'Sheffielders' are to people who've moved here. She protests that Sheffield is in the North (yep, North Midlands) then shows herself up to be the conceited, arrogant bigot she really is.

Truly, truly nasty, stupid old bint!! No wonder she's always on here late at night. Ruby no mates!!

(and now I've gone and stooped to her level. Ah well!).

as a southerner (largely ignoring the rest of the north south hyperbole on this thread), i consider this to be very much the north.

then, as far as i am concerned, nottingham is the north! that stuff further up (leeds, newcastle etc) is in southern scotland.

Hull is East Yorkshire, therefore in 'the North'. Grimsby, just over the Humber Bridge, is Linconshire in the Midlands.

Sometimes people say it's in the North East, which is total rubbish. Thats just for Geordies, Smoggies and Mackems in my opinion.

sheffield is in the north chesterfield and derby are east midlands and never shall the twain meet in one county if you look on the bbc weather forecasts you look for sheffield in the north and chesterfield in the midlands