Schools closing early (or not!) for the England game on Wednesday

Hang on a minute. There is NOTHING to stop a parent collecting their child/ren at say 2.45 because they have an appointment or something. :D

Im doing this. I told the head I was and basically, there isnt anything to stop you. Kids are on best behaviour now though as I have told them I'll leave them there til 3.20 if they misbehave today.

I like that idea!

I'm using that one tomorrow

My daughter is still finishing at 2pm

I would like to see the education authority also taking disciplinary action against the idiots in theses schools who thought it was appropriate to let a child go home because of a football match on another continent. It makes it very hard for schools to tell parents that they can't remove a child for holidays, when that same school has shown that any old reason is fine when it suits them.

Your name is Ken? Enough said!

Your name is Ken? Enough said!

And exactly why does this posters name have any relevance to the content of his thread?:roll: My OH's name is Ken - do you want to make something of it?:hihi:

He actually has a very relevant point.

Such a fuss is made about taking a child out of school for a family holiday and then they allow kids to lose schooling time to watch a stupid football match!!!

The worlds gone mad.:loopy:

Edited by Daven

It's not that, the kids wanted to watch it as well, so plans were made. By the time I get back from school the England team will already be on the plane home

Grow up:loopy:

Such a fuss is made about taking a child out of school for a family holiday and then they allow kids to lose schooling time to watch a stupid football match!!!

The worlds gone mad.:loopy:

I think the point was that they werent allowing kids to lose schooling time!

I do think there is a difference between missing 35 minutes of school (of which 10 minutes is tidying up time and getting ready to come home time anyway) and having x days off for holidays.

At my kids school they are putting the match on in classrooms so I dont think any schooling will be done anyway. Im happy to remove them for 35 minutes.

PS/ I do agree though, the world does go mad every 4 years - all in the name of football. Especially when England are so dire.:D

That's the thing, the school was making sure that the kids caught up with the school work.

Bet the guy at the "Local Authority" is a Scotland fan

I do think there is a difference between missing 35 minutes of school (of which 10 minutes is tidying up time and getting ready to come home time anyway) and having x days off for holidays.

There is a difference, but it is about the principle. A football match, which can easily be watched on a recording, is not in any way educational. The schools should either say "you can't have time off school" or they shouldn't, it is a simple choice. If they start being silly and letting children off every time there is a football match, then perhaps the parents will keep their child off school for it to have a haircut, or buy new shoes. Then perhaps they will take their child out of school every time there is a match they are interested in, maybe if Acrington Stanley are playing? Then what?

Not just Sheffield, Schools in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire are doing it too. I got a text earlier telling me to collect my 7 year old at 2.45.

Not just Sheffield, Schools in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire are doing it too. I got a text earlier telling me to collect my 7 year old at 2.45.

I would refuse to be dictated to for the sake of a silly football match - pick your child up at the usual time.

Fortunately, whatever the decision, my girls' school is a ten minute walk from the pub I'll be in when England go out of the World Cup.

I'll get my seat, get the beers in, go fetch the girls and should get back just in time for kick-off, thus missing the tedious and repetitive National Anthems.

Kids SHOULD be at school irrespective of the WC. Me? It's my day off so there.

if you dont like the national anthems or the england team, then disappear

back home....

I don't think it's all about kids having time off just to watch the match. By the time many of them finish school all the football idiots who think it's clever to spend all afternoon in the pub getting slashed will have already had a skin full. There is almost always a fight or argument during and after a match by those who don't know their alcohol limits, or don't care. Many think it's safer for the kids to leave school early so they are out of the way incase anything does happen.