Gleadless townend businesses of yesteryear.

On 18/02/2023 at 14:57, cuttsie said:

He 's forgot 

Did you get a extra half hour in 6os in Red Lion in Gleadless ,

11 hours ago, Slinny said:

Did you get a extra half hour in 6os in Red Lion in Gleadless ,

Yes I did G it was in Derbyshire then , many from the Heeley and Sheff rushed on there at 10 PM 

On post 119 is a brilliant link provided by Jim Hardie,cheers Mick.Please read the writing directly below the photo of the Red Lion pub.Then click on History.All will then become clear where the Derbys/Yorks border exactly was.The Shire Brook comes up under the Red Lion pub,then meanders underground to behind the back gardens between Seagrave Crescent and Lister Crescent.

The front half of the Red Lion pub was in Derbys... on White Lane.The back half was on Gleadless Road,Yorks.During the latter part of the evening,the landlord would call the drinkers in the back room to come to the front room if they wished to take advantage of the 'extension',to continue quaffing for the last hour.So,yes,patrons could continue suppin'whilst other pubs in the area were cloised.I believe All properties on White Lane were in Derbyshire up until 1967? Also,coming down Norton Avenue(not Ridgeway Road)all houses and businesses on the right were in Derbyshire.

Slinny. Gleadless Road continued,and still does,over Ridgeway Road,then terminates where it meets White Lane at the old garage next to Plumbs newsagent.I also hold the opinion Fine Fare supermarket,the launderette and the chip chop were in Yorkshire,as was the chapel opposite,all those years ago.

If anybody wishes to see Shire Brook/rivlet/stream it can be seen on Lister Crescent. Drive on White Lane,direction of Ridgeway,then take first left onto Carson Mount.Then take the second left(first left is the little road where White Lane houses stand back).The second left is Lister Crescent.Follow the road to where it starts to go downwards.At this point stop,then evacuate your vehicle,because nearby is a short driveway on the left that leads to a grassy green recreation field(most council housing estates have recreation fields),walk down the driveway,then walk across the field..a minutes walk.You will have then arrived at the Shirebrook behind the back gardens of Seagrave Crescent.This is part of the old border separating Yorks and Derbys for 900 years..Its as simple as that.If its a nice day it is advisable to take a picnic hamper with you.Its a nice tranquil spot to spend an hour or so.Please show respect by not littering.

Have a neb at this map. You can see the blue squiggle atween Seagrave Crescent and Lister Crescent.The blue squiggle depicts the Shirebrook.

Slinny. Graham,who was Mr Sizer? My younger sister,who went to Gleadless School,on Hollinsend Road,used to mention him with no little trepidation.I used to see a short stocky man in Hollinsend Park.He had a constant stiff neck that was ever tilted to one side.He had an oddly strange behaviour and I never heard him speak,a silent man.I can quite imagine young children being scared of him.Does my description describe Mr Sizer?

I've really enjoyed reading through MY thread again.I wonder why so many posts have been removed,including some with photographs of Gleadless Townend's yesteryear.

• Like 1

I definitely remember two Derbyshire signs at Town End. One on the corner where garage now standing. One across from Red Lion. Where toilet is or was  .The one facing Ridgeway road was a bit optimistic but in those days who cared about a couple of hundred yards.

I also enjoy your threads but it seems as though all that now counts is slagging each other off on the forum . Proper stories no longer commented on or even read by some 

cuttsie, thanks for your reply and comments.

I know of three sign posts.

1. Outside the small garage where gleadless Rooad ended at White Lane. The signpost had with Derbyshire written on it.

2. Outside the lavs on White Lane.It was one of those signposts with three arms pointing in in different directions from another. Ridgeway or Mosborough, Sheffield, Norton or Holmesfield or some other place in that direction. A photo of this signpost can be found on Picture Sheffield website.

3. When coming down Norton Avenue then taking a right into White Lane, there was a signpost with Deryshire written on it. It was stood on the left (obviously) next to the carpet shop which was next to Huddarts. On the right, a few yards further on, were a greengrocer/wet fish shop, Briarfield Road, and Post Office.

When the border changes arrived in April 1967, one of the Deryshire signs was up - rooted and was then planted about 80 yards past the Old Harrow, 'Arra' to those in the know.

In 1967, many places which were in North East Derbyshire were swallowed up by the Sheffield Corporation (Council) including Hackenthorpe, Frecheville, Birley, Base Green, Charnock. I'm not reight sure if ALL of Birley Golf Course is in Yorkshire.

Am gonna ask Matt to drive me up to Lister Crescent to take what may be my last look at the Shirebrook at the spot where it first appeared above ground. Depending on weather conditions I might just partake in a little paddle.

Proper stories no longer commented on.

Yep, Jud, That's why I lost interest in writing my unshort posts about my childhood memories on Nah Then during the 60s, Anyone from Hackenthorpe, and Remember Birley School. Only you, Hillsbro, Toronto Tony and a few others joined in. To be fair the view count soared, especially when my latest post was purron the Forum.

Writing those unshort posts was bleddy hard work for me, specially trying to fit in the humour bits. With the constant chopping and changing some posts took a full week to complete.

Bang on with the signs, Slinney usually remembers every detail from our youth ,I think he must have missed the signs on Ridgeway Road end of White Lane and will be kicking him self to have missed the extra drink up time in the Lion . 

Hope thi paddle goes well , The Shirebrook will have a Good flow on at the moment unlike my  nob end .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zakes said:

Yep, Jud, That's why I lost interest in writing my unshort posts about my childhood memories on Nah Then during the 60s, Anyone from Hackenthorpe, and Remember Birley School. Only you, Hillsbro, Toronto Tony and a few others joined in. To be fair the view count soared, especially when my latest post was purron the Forum.

Writing those unshort posts was bleddy hard work for me, specially trying to fit in the humour bits. With the constant chopping and changing some posts took a full week to complete.

Morning Zakes.

I'll tell thi what, I must have read all your posts, brilliant, every one of them.

My only regret was you weren't born on the Shiregreen.

Your last paragraph, I do sympathize with you,

I'm prone to posting a lot of tripe, and like you say, it can sometimes take up to a week to complete..

I get a lot of my ideas from everyday life, also every night at 9pm I stand alone in my kitchen and devour a few bottles of beer.

This is when my imagination goes into overdrive, soon as I get a weird idea, I rush to my "Work Station" and scribble it down.

I'm surrounded by bits of paper with notes on.

Sometimes I'll have a fit of the giggles when I think of summat, And yes, I actually stand there talking to mi-sen.

Whatever subject I dream up, is followed by intensive research on google and trying to twist things round to my way of thinking.

Then it's posted.

The more likes and comments I get makes it all worthwhile. but sadly, I get very few.

I always get a response and praise from Mr. Bloke,  (And the pithe taken) 

Like you say, It's bloody hard work.

I sometimes wonder why I bother, but having lost the love of my life 8 years ago, I grieved for 12 months.

Her computer which I'd no idea how to use, was lying dormant, Then I started to fiddle about with it, and with the help of my 2 daughters, managed to make some sense of it.

With the help of the Forum I managed to reconnect with the outside world, for that I shall be forever grateful, it's now become a hobby.

I can keep in touch with the family and friends via Facebook, and I also post a lot of nonsense on the Local Shiregreen group.

I always complain about people with mobile phones stuck to their tabs, but I'm as bad on here.

Best wishes to you Zakes in your battle with ill health, hope you can stick around for a lot more years.

• Like 2

:wave:

Hello everyone...
... it's time for Blokey's Sunday sermon!

The post made by Mr Padders is WHY some of us STILL make the effort...
... because I suspect there are lots of "lurkers" out there who can no longer be bothered to post because of the nasty replies that posting inevitably attracts - but who still "enjoy" a bit of a read or like the odd chuckle.

They may not "like" a post - and that doesn't REALLY matter - but if it's helped make them think or raised a giggle then it's all been worthwhile.

And IF it encourages someone to make their own post, then even better!

But the poster will NEVER know if that's the case unless they're told - and I suppose that can sometimes become frustrating.

So receiving a "like" does make you realise that "some" people appreciate it, and gives you the motivation to carry on posting!

But so many people can't even be bothered to do that - they simply don't appreciate the time and effort it can sometimes take in putting a post together - and why should they?

That's because those people don't do it themselves...
... whenever they have something to say (which in a lot of cases is the same thing, time after time) they just let their fingers loose on the keyboard without ever trying to make their post entertaining or even readable!

And they're often triggered by the poster NOT necessarily the content of the post!

They can't wait to get their dig in first - it's just SO predictable that a lot of us just switch off from reading anything else that poster might have to say (which is their loss if they DID have anything valid to say).

It's becoming increasingly tiresome when a few forum trolls shut down alternate views by using their multiple accounts.

And let's be clear - WE ALL KNOW THIS IS HAPPENING!

Those of us who still post will plod on regardless - by just ignoring these bores...
... but more importantly, many decent posters have left the forum because they no longer want to be part of it! (and who can blame them?)

Yes - the forum NEEDS clicks to survive - which is why these trolls are being "tolerated" by admin...
... but it shouldn't be at the expense of losing your decent entertaining poster who puts a lot of effort into what they post!

Here endeth the sermon... :rant:

• Like 3

I spent many hours as a kid donning wellies and playing in 'Shirebrook'. The brook disappears into a culvert on Lister avenue and reemerged in a quarry close to Birley moor rd where the industrial estate is now situated (hence Quarry vale rd where my sister lived) Used to be lots of newts in the quarry which we would bring home for our old sink in the back garden, 

On 16/07/2023 at 12:25, mike-s said:

I spent many hours as a kid donning wellies and playing in 'Shirebrook'. The brook disappears into a culvert on Lister avenue and reemerged in a quarry close to Birley moor rd where the industrial estate is now situated (hence Quarry vale rd where my sister lived) Used to be lots of newts in the quarry which we would bring home for our old sink in the back garden, 

Spent the best part of my childhood playing in and around the Shirebrook , in the valley between Hackenthorpe and Woodhouse (Wudus) . Down there at dawn ,  going home when it was dark  , even in Winter .

Thank you Padders, Your post is bang on. We both like to feed as much info as we can in our posts for the reader. I also get annoyed once Ive sent my post then something relevant then comes into my head. I cant be bovvered editing.I admit to being hammer shaft, but in a good way...LOL.

Thank you to Mr Bloke too for making some good points in your sermon.

Thanks chaps.

The unusual world of a 10 year old boy.

Although I spent time in Hackenthorpe village, and around the Hackenthorpe estate, I also visited Mosborough, Beighton, Halfway, Drakehouse, Ridgeway and Ford. I also spent many hours down the fields at the Shirebrook river. At the time, 1964ish, I didn't know the Shirebrook by it's name, to me and most young 'uns on the estate, we knew it as... The river.

The river seemed to change colour every other week due to pollutant stuff poured into it by whichever companies were doing it. The river often had foreign bodies...don't be daft reader, not real human bodies. The bodies were items chucked into the river by persons unknown, but most likely people from the locality.

The junk cobbed into the river were items like... Golden Wonder crisp packets (empty), Nibbit packets, also empty, Fag packets also empty. Tab ends were also floating along in the river. Sweet wrappers were also in abundance, Banana Chew wrappers, Blackjack and Fruit salad and Butter Dainty wrappers were also in abundance, everytime I went down to the chuffin' river. Also floating down the bleedin'river were mini icebergs of white bubble like soapy suds, not forgetting the myriads of used johnnys, and Dracula's tea bags, among loads of other stuff. Goodness knows where all that stuff came from.

On one occasion I saw the carcases of a Brontosaurus and a Pterosaur. They had killed each other to death. Let it be known on that occasion, I also saur a pair of laughing Titanosauruses scampering away to the nearby undergrowth. Lest I forget, on that day I also discovered an amazing sight in the river shallows. It was to my surprise that I found a backloader double decked Sheffield Corporation bus lying on it's side,it's cream and blue livery still fully intact. Close by was a fair sized diesel slick.

What an unusual world we live in huh!

On a piping hot summer afternoon during the six week holiday in the same year, my pal of the day,and I, befound ourselves at the sewage farm up the far embankment of the river. We spent the afternoon in the baking heat walking and running across the hard crust of the dung filled pool.

Late in the afternoon the sun started to lower itself and moved around the sky. This caused a shadow behind a parapet to appear. Being unaware that the shadow would cause the crust to soften, pal of the day and I headed for that corner to leave the sewage farm as time was getting on, Big mistake!

Nearing the shadow caused by the parapet blocking the dwindling sun, we began to start to sink into the soft brown bobbar. After a fearful battle, we both luckily reached the parapet, then pulled ourselves out, to land upon lush green weeds.

We then rolled down the embankment  to reach the river. It must have been a comical sight as we both stripped our clothes and shoes off. We then clumsily weshed our clobber in the river. Next we hung our belongings on the branches of two handily placed small trees. Pal of the day and I then sat in the shallow river to wesh our brown bodies. After a short while of twenty minutes and sixty seven seconds we were almost pink again.

On arrival at the path to my house on Carter Lodge Drive, mi mum was waiting with arms akimbo. She shouted that she had smelled me from a mile off. After a good old fashioned leathering, mum dragged me upstairs to the bathroom for a good old fashioned scrubbing. I didn't visit the sewage farm again.

The Shirebrook river was the border atween Woodus up the hill...Yorks, while on the  Hackenthorpe side, we were in Derbyshire. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zakes said:

Thank you Padders, Your post is bang on. We both like to feed as much info as we can in our posts for the reader. I also get annoyed once Ive sent my post then something relevant then comes into my head. I cant be bovvered editing.I admit to being hammer shaft, but in a good way...LOL.

Thank you to Mr Bloke too for making some good points in your sermon.

Thanks chaps.

The unusual world of a 10 year old boy.

Although I spent time in Hackenthorpe village, and around the Hackenthorpe estate, I also visited Mosborough, Beighton, Halfway, Drakehouse, Ridgeway and Ford. I also spent many hours down the fields at the Shirebrook river. At the time, 1964ish, I didn't know the Shirebrook by it's name, to me and most young 'uns on the estate, we knew it as... The river.

The river seemed to change colour every other week due to pollutant stuff poured into it by whichever companies were doing it. The river often had foreign bodies...don't be daft reader, not real human bodies. The bodies were items chucked into the river by persons unknown, but most likely people from the locality.

The junk cobbed into the river were items like... Golden Wonder crisp packets (empty), Nibbit packets, also empty, Fag packets also empty. Tab ends were also floating along in the river. Sweet wrappers were also in abundance, Banana Chew wrappers, Blackjack and Fruit salad and Butter Dainty wrappers were also in abundance, everytime I went down to the chuffin' river. Also floating down the bleedin'river were mini icebergs of white bubble like soapy suds, not forgetting the myriads of used johnnys, and Dracula's tea bags, among loads of other stuff. Goodness knows where all that stuff came from.

On one occasion I saw the carcases of a Brontosaurus and a Pterosaur. They had killed each other to death. Let it be known on that occasion, I also saur a pair of laughing Titanosauruses scampering away to the nearby undergrowth. Lest I forget, on that day I also discovered an amazing sight in the river shallows. It was to my surprise that I found a backloader double decked Sheffield Corporation bus lying on it's side,it's cream and blue livery still fully intact. Close by was a fair sized diesel slick.

What an unusual world we live in huh!

On a piping hot summer afternoon during the six week holiday in the same year, my pal of the day,and I, befound ourselves at the sewage farm up the far embankment of the river. We spent the afternoon in the baking heat walking and running across the hard crust of the dung filled pool.

Late in the afternoon the sun started to lower itself and moved around the sky. This caused a shadow behind a parapet to appear. Being unaware that the shadow would cause the crust to soften, pal of the day and I headed for that corner to leave the sewage farm as time was getting on, Big mistake!

Nearing the shadow caused by the parapet blocking the dwindling sun, we began to start to sink into the soft brown bobbar. After a fearful battle, we both luckily reached the parapet, then pulled ourselves out, to land upon lush green weeds.

We then rolled down the embankment  to reach the river. It must have been a comical sight as we both stripped our clothes and shoes off. We then clumsily weshed our clobber in the river. Next we hung our belongings on the branches of two handily placed small trees. Pal of the day and I then sat in the shallow river to wesh our brown bodies. After a short while of twenty minutes and sixty seven seconds we were almost pink again.

On arrival at the path to my house on Carter Lodge Drive, mi mum was waiting with arms akimbo. She shouted that she had smelled me from a mile off. After a good old fashioned leathering, mum dragged me upstairs to the bathroom for a good old fashioned scrubbing. I didn't visit the sewage farm again.

The Shirebrook river was the border atween Woodus up the hill...Yorks, while on the  Hackenthorpe side, we were in Derbyshire. 

“Dracula’s teabags “ 😂😂😂 forgot that one . Been there and done all that down there . Them johnnies used to make great targets for catapults or gat pistol’s when they were hanging from bushes after a flood. The bushes looked like poor people’s Christmas trees. 
We allus called the river the dyke .  Dyke jumping was a popular pastime and many times after falling in , I went home , took of mi socks and they were full of little red worms  .

Zakes , hope you are as well as can be . You are still the only forum member I have met. Keep posting your brilliant memoirs when you can. Best wishes  Hackey Lad