Supertram crash at owlthorpe

How can they if it's impossible to manoeuvre into the space allocated for wheelchairs?

Its never impossible to say, "please check the sign, disabled people get priority in this area"

Its never impossible to say, "please check the sign, disabled people get priority in this area"

No, but it's fairly useless to do so if you can't reach the area to begin with, and it's also useless if the people already standing in it choose to ignore you.

How can they if it's impossible to manoeuvre into the space allocated for wheelchairs?

If the wheelchair cant be moved safely into the allocated spot, it should travel as simple as that, the Supertram is insured to carry the wheelchair in the designated way, if it isnt then they arent insured to carry them.

If the wheelchair cant be moved safely into the allocated spot, it should travel as simple as that, the Supertram is insured to carry the wheelchair in the designated way, if it isnt then they arent insured to carry them.

You do realise that enforcing that idea would see Supertram closed down for breach of disability discrimination law? They have a responsibility to cater to disabled passengers, and the mere fact that the tram is busy does not excuse them from it.

If the wheelchair is correctly placed, the presence or absence of any seatbelt won't matter because it won't move or tip.

It's not always possible to place the wheelchair correctly, and the fact that someone in a wheelchair had an accident does not prove that they were irresponsible for not doing so; much more likely the tram was too busy and they were unable to.

I didn't try to attach blame to either the lady who was injured or Supertram, I was just annoyed that somebody can try to apportion blame rather than sympathise with a disabled lady being injured.

Well I hope you never get injured Mr Sympathetic :rolleyes:

And AFAIK Supertram does not provide seatbelts for passengers, disabled or not?

what does AFAIK mean?

Does anyone know what has happened on Moss Way with the Supertram ????

I saw it happen, well half of it anyway. I was at Peaks College with my friends eating lunch, then I heard a loud beep and a crash noise.

One of the teachers ran to the scene, but I don't know the other half of the story.

what does AFAIK mean?

As far as i know :)

You do realise that enforcing that idea would see Supertram closed down for breach of disability discrimination law? They have a responsibility to cater to disabled passengers, and the mere fact that the tram is busy does not excuse them from it.

laughable post. supertram provide perfectly adequate facilities for the disabled. what do you expect them to do if all of the disabled spaces are full?

NO, that is far from the truth, the supertram can only carry disabled wheelchair users in the designated bays, just like on the buses, they cannot be anywhere but the area designed for travel, for example, rested against the back rest with the wheelchair brakes on.

If they have already got to many wheelchairs on then they cant carry more, if the wheelchair bays are already full by other users then they are politiley asked to move to somewhere else to sit so the wheelchair can take the space, there are no rules to state people must move, just polite notices and also the hope people will have enough respect to do this.

I know on the buses if you have an accident and you havent loaded the wheelchair safely you are responisble for it, im sure the tram will be the same.

They wont be breaching any disability discrimination laws, unless they outright refused to let a wheelchair on with good cause, or didnt provide wheelchair access.

A tram I was on narrowly avoided a collision with a police van, a few years ago. It Braked violently. I was flung from my wheelchair, and broke my elbow.

PTyou don't seem to have a lot of luck, what with the post above and the sky diving football fan a few weeks ago..

Are you recovered from that by the way?

The car I was driving was struck by a tram last month, I had nudged out of a busy junction and cars had followed without leaving me any space to move,, tram came along and saw me, slowed down and seeing that I had no where to go, slowly continued on its way, scraping across my helpless frontage. I received a piece of paperwork from the driver, who didn't say much. This I followed up to be told that stagecoach were taking the rap and would foot bill of cosmetic repairs. Done and dusted in 2 weeks. No bother. I was expecting a battle and was suprised to be sorted without one!

Nice one stagecoach, I hope this incident is sorted with similar fairness and speed.