Should Sheffield have night buses?

20 and 20a should do a right run, i know quite a lot who are on 20 route and have to pay around £7 for a taxi eavery weekend

This will never happen as taxi drivers will be outside the town hall with banners.

And that sort of crowd would have them quaking in their boots.

If a company registers a service under the terms of the 1986 act there is NOTHING they can do - end of story.

I used to get night buses in wolverhampton when I lived at home as a teenager (late 90's). Everyone was drunk but many people fell asleeep as it was 12 miles and took an hour. There was a bouncer on the bus in addition to the driver. They were great, lets get them here:)

yes Sheffield should have night buses.

when i lived in Stockport a few yrs ago u could always get night buses into Manchester...

great for a night out..

So these night buses, im guessing you are all in agreement that local authority funding for these (as thats what it would take for the bus companies to do it) would be well spent on getting drunk's and the sorts home at 3am?

I used to get a night bus home from 'roxy's back in the late 90's.

one night a lad got on and with knife, he stabbed someone at the back of the bus. he was going mental with this knife just trying to stab people and lashing about. everyone was screaming at the driving to stop but he wouldnt, he just kept driving. it was horrible, in the end the guy jumped from the emergency door at the back and legged it.

dont think the driver even stopped then. horrible. last time i ever got that bus

All main routes yes.

What classifies as a "main route"? The buses that go through the estates in Parsons Cross etc. are very few, so they are the "main routes" their area, even if they don't go into town or hit a main road.

Never mind the cost or the times...:(...with todays drunks and thugs..(who are bad enough when sober)..:gag:

Imagine having to take them home at 3am, drunk, obnoxious,..wanting to beat everybody up...if my partner was a bus driver, i wouldnt want him in the middle of this...:loopy:

Well they have night buses in London and Manchester? Are you suggesting the people of Sheffield would be worse?

But if a bus company runs a bus that no one catches, like my employer stagecaoch use to run the 120's untill 1am in the morning a few years back they had no funding from the PTE to do this, no one caught the bus so the bus was empty maybe 3 or 4 passengers a trip, not all paying customers either so the bus wasnt commerically profitable to run.

Plus the bus station is only open till if memory serve's me correct till 12/12.30.

I used to catch them 120s regular, was devastated when they stopped. They weren't that busy, but not many people knew they run so late, I don't recall the times ever been placed on the information boards at the stops either.

Most routes are commercial. If not the PTE should pay.

If the routes are commercial at 3 in the morning, why is no one running buses at that time? Are businesses like First and Stagecoach not interested in making money?

If the routes were commercial, buses would be running on them. They aren't, so they're not.

For once, it's something about Sheffield buses for which First carry no blame.

Awww don't say that, you'll spoil people's fun.

People pay fares to use them, like any other bus

Correct. Just not enough of them, hence no buses.

I often get the last 51 out of town to Charnock. Weeknights there's often not more than 5 or 6 people on it. Trust me, that's not enough to fund a commercial bus service.