What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten

My old housemate ate crunchy peanut butter. My other housemate had lizards. The Lizards had some dried food that was a mix of ant egs, meal worms, crickets and other assorted insects. I have to admit to having something to do with mixing the lizard food into the peanut butter and watching the mixture being spread onto toast and cosumed... Watching someone eat insect laden peanut butter was not a pleasent experiance and one I don't want to repeat!

sheep's eyeballs

goat's testicles

neither was exactly pleasant, but if you ever have to choose go for the balls!

Ooooh, I really like a stick of Celery covered in Cottage Cheese. Used to bring them in to school for lunch. People thought they were weird.

You should try them... nice!

My friend bought me coffee made in a rather odd way, it's eaten by rare Vietnamese weasles, regurgitated by them and then roasted which apparently gives it a unique (enhancing!) taste. I couldn't actually taste any difference (yes, i tried it), but i think i made it wrong. Will report back with findings once i make it properly.

Cows, pigs and sheep.....Oh, and chickens. Chuck chuck chuck :suspect:

(But not for 26 years :))

I once accompanied a Chinese acquaintance of mine to a Chinese restaurant here in Sheffield one Sunday lunchtime. The establishment does not advertise it is open at that time, but those in the know within the Chinese community gather there for a traditional Chinese Sunday lunch.

I learned that in traditional Chinese cuisine, no part of an animal is wasted. (Wait for it.......wait for it........). And so we were served with a most peculiar glutinous looking dish (wait for it.......) which was stewed chicken feet! :gag:

Most of our English party took one look at this dish, and chickened out (every pun intended!). Being adventurous though, I had a bash. You scoop up one chicken foot and a bit of the liquid, pop it into your mouth and slosh it around so the bones loosen. You then spit the bones into a communal dish in the centre of the table, and swallow the webbing and whatever bit of meat there might be. I gave up after three. :gag:

Draggle leaves the room in search of gaviscon. The stella can wait:gag: :hihi:

I've made a few people queasy by mentioning the fact that I've eaten snails, I never realised that you cook the snail and then pop it back into it's shell to serve. Apparently you re-use the shells and can buy the snails shell-less. How do you know you're not being conned and are really buying slugs?

I don't think I'll point some of my squeamish friends at this thread as I bet vomit is really hard to get out from between the keys.

Do many people eat teacakes buttered with a bit of cheese? I think they're quite nice.

A few years ago, whilst visiting the Chatsworth Farm Shop, I couldn't resist buying three jars of pickled baby octopus. :gag:

For some inexplicable reason, they didn't appear to have been selling well, and had been greatly reduced in price. I gave two away as Christmas presents (oh boy, do my friends appreciate the unusual gifts they receive from me - Brigid, staring in amazement at her gift, told me it was something she had always wanted, and Liz just shrieked after the wrapping paper came off!). Anyway, back to the story....

That left one jar, which I kept for me. I treasured it in my kitchen cupboard, dreaming of the day when my culinary skills would put this delicacy before a dinner party. The time came, when friends came round for a meal. Paella it was to be, on a bed of yellow rice. Mmmm. To maintain the secrecy of the meal, everyone was banned from the kitchen whilst I threw in the chicken pieces, the mussels and other ingredients. Lastly, I opened the picked baby octopus, and strirred them into the pan.

I plated up the meals, ensuring that a couple of the pickled baby octopus were placed in the centre of each dish, for aesthetical purposes, and placed them before my assembled guests. Sad to relate, but I was unawares that my female guest appeared to have an aversion to sea-food, and felt unable to consume even a mouthful. And her husband, suffering from an unexplained sudden loss of appetite, could only manage to nibble at the rice. I found the pickled baby octopus quite chewy myself and without much taste. I now avoid cooking them.

This was a few years back now, but I'm still wondering when my friends will get round to inviting me round to their place for dinner? :hihi:

PS. Next: The tale of the durian fruit!

Originally posted by redrobbo

A few years ago, whilst visiting the Chatsworth Farm Shop, I couldn't resist buying three jars of pickled baby octopus. :gag: ......

A farm shop selling pickled baby octopus ..... that ain't fresh farm food :suspect::D

Originally posted by Draggletail

A farm shop selling pickled baby octopus ..... that ain't fresh farm food :suspect::D

I used to coo over those in Makro!

Well, they are incredibly cute.......