Is an hour-long daily traffic ban the answer?

Why not close the whole city centre to traffic every Sunday? It's not a school or working day for most and it would be nice to enjoy our city in a traffic free environment.

That would mean hundreds of people who live in the city centre wouldn't be able to move.

That would mean hundreds of people who live in the city centre wouldn't be able to move.

Why, don't they have any legs? Are there no buses, trams or trains that run into and out of the city centre?

Why, don't they have any legs? Are there no buses, trams or trains that run into and out of the city centre?
So what if you visit your kid/sibling/friend on Sundays, who live 15 miles away with no practical way or means to get there via 'alternative means' within a useable timeframe (say, an hour)?

So what if, given your personal and/or professional circumstances, Sunday is the only day you can head to do your shopping for the family?

So what if there are no common transport links to the destination of your intended Sunday outing? Say, Hardwick Hall (e.g.).

So what if you need to take your kid/sibling/friend to A&E on a Sunday afternoon after a garden accident, or a fast-deteriorating illness?

I'm not saying the idea hasn't got merit, just that (like all 'black-and-white'-type problem-solving approaches) it's poorly thought-out. As usual.

If you live in the city centre you wouldn't need a car so the question is irrelevant!

I live in the city centre, and I need a car...

Work = Out of town

Friends = Some in town, some out of town

Family = Out in the sticks

The car isn't automatically surrended because there's a Tesco's and Post Office across the road.

Sounds like a great idea - in a world where everyone is capable of and has time to jog 12 miles to work. What a flipping loony :loopy:

It says 'roads closed' and 'traffic free' so I'm assuming there would be no buses either. Which I don't use anyway because they cost more than using the car for us and take forever.

If you live in the city centre you wouldn't need a car so the question is irrelevant!

Only in your simple world.

How about when they want to go somewhere that isn't served by a bus or train, or if they intend to purchase large items and would like to use a vehicle to transport them home, or if they are coming back late when the public transport is no longer running, or if they need to get there in less than half a day, or no end of other reasons.