Is an hour-long daily traffic ban the answer?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Is-an-hourlong-daily-traffic.6183012.jp#5074076

"A South Yorkshire MP has called for roads in London to be closed for an hour every day - to give children on the school run and people heading to work the chance to walk, cycle or jog without their lungs being "clogged with the filthy fumes of our city".

Speaking during question time in the House of Commons, Rotherham MP Denis MacShane told MPs Colombia's capital Bogota bans traffic every Sunday resulting in a "paradise" for pedestrians and cyclists.

He asked Environment Minister Jim Fitzpatrick: ADVERTISEMENT "Why don't you take your team to Bogota in Colombia - a city of seven million - where every Sunday all vehicular traffic is banned, and it becomes a paradise for cyclists, walkers and joggers?

"Why can't we shut down London for a day a week or an hour each morning to allow children to be taken to school, to allow me to be able to bike or jog to Parliament without my lungs being clogged up with the filthy fumes of our city?

"An hour free of traffic a day in London."

Mr Fitzpatrick said there had been "significant reductions" in road transport emissions since 1997 despite a 13 per cent increase in road traffic.

He also said the Mayor of London was responsible for improving air quality in the capital and would be publishing a public consultation on a draft air quality strategy in the near future".

Is this just another MP angling for a freebie jaunt.

I've never been to Bogata, but Google is a fantastic research tool, and just think on the savings of emmissions and CO2 and taxpayer airfares.

Rome also shuts areas of the city centre to traffic on sundays, Ryan air flights from £10 budget hotels froms 20E per night, I wonder how many MP's will try that one. :loopy::rant::suspect:

Let's hope this idiot never gets any more power than he already has!

I'm sure shutting the roads for an hour every morning will help the economy no end!

I notice that he hasn't called for this to happen in his Rotherham constituency - I wonder why?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Is-an-hourlong-daily-traffic.6183012.jp#5074076

"A South Yorkshire MP has called for roads in London to be closed for an hour every day - to give children on the school run and people heading to work the chance to walk, cycle or jog without their lungs being "clogged with the filthy fumes of our city".

Speaking during question time in the House of Commons, Rotherham MP Denis MacShane told MPs Colombia's capital Bogota bans traffic every Sunday resulting in a "paradise" for pedestrians and cyclists.

He asked Environment Minister Jim Fitzpatrick: ADVERTISEMENT "Why don't you take your team to Bogota in Colombia - a city of seven million - where every Sunday all vehicular traffic is banned, and it becomes a paradise for cyclists, walkers and joggers?

"Why can't we shut down London for a day a week or an hour each morning to allow children to be taken to school, to allow me to be able to bike or jog to Parliament without my lungs being clogged up with the filthy fumes of our city?

"An hour free of traffic a day in London."

Mr Fitzpatrick said there had been "significant reductions" in road transport emissions since 1997 despite a 13 per cent increase in road traffic.

He also said the Mayor of London was responsible for improving air quality in the capital and would be publishing a public consultation on a draft air quality strategy in the near future".

Is this just another MP angling for a freebie jaunt.

I've never been to Bogata, but Google is a fantastic research tool, and just think on the savings of emmissions and CO2 and taxpayer airfares.

Rome also shuts areas of the city centre to traffic on sundays, Ryan air flights from £10 budget hotels froms 20E per night, I wonder how many MP's will try that one. :loopy::rant::suspect:

I don't know about the practicalities of closing the roads for an hour on a daily basis. (Although I'd like to see some way of reducing the amount of traffic caused my parents of children with fully functioning legs which travels about a mile...).

However, I have been in Rome when the sections of road are closed down near the Colosseum (spelling?), and it works really well. There is an excellent evening atmosphere, with various stuff going on.

Sadly, the weather would impact on that here, and you'd probably get the Carling/Stella can suppers spoiling it.

Personally I think it's an excellent idea, particually on a Sunday. Believe it or not the economy isn't the be all and end all, there are surely things like people's happyness which are far more important. I'm sure there are some practical issues that would need to be overcome but i'd certainly support giving it a go.