Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

While I agree with the OPs post - yes, Sevenstone is a truly hideous, 'let's repeat the mistakes of the '60's' development - I fear that other considerations are at work.

While not wanting to be mired in the past, surely it's not beyond the wit (whit?) of an imaginative architect to incorporate interesting buildings such as the 'pepper pot' or St. Pauls Parade into any new development as a funky, niche corner of what will otherwise turn into the usual blandness. It could, for example, be a sort of 'Forum Shops' or Orchard Square, housing mostly bespoke, craft-type units.

However, a quick walk through town the other day showed what an developer with real flair is up against. Walking down York Street, I saw the window of our esteemed local organ, The Star, was packed with books such as 'Weers mi mam?'. Onwards down the Moor and the new streetworks have already been blighted by seats bearing inscriptions such as 'Wots for tea, mam?'.

Is this really the outward-facing image of Sheffield that we want to portray? That of a backward, Northern mill town? A few years ago, when the Goodwin fountain was filled in, the Star ran a competition asking what should replace it. One of the more popular suggestions was a statue of a 'buffer girl'. Good grief.

"Eeh, ah remember them! It were joost like mi nanan in them days!"

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about Sevenstone. That area will still be a building site in 5 years. The local politicians will blame the economic downturn when it's really their lack of vision and willingness to pander to the lowest common denominator to blame (let's face it, the average Moor-dweller can always get their booze, fags and scratchcards from the be-shuttered shops on their estate). And if John Lewis and/or Debenhams ever relocate, we can truly descend into Rotherham-dom with endless Pound shops, Cash Converters and Greggs.

Perhaps it's what we deserve.

Edited by grafikhaus74

The sevenstone development has been in the pipeline for years and is exactly what the city requires. The city centre regeneration has been going well imo, the city centre struggles attracting retailers, this is because we don not have the buildings / units that they want to run there businesses from.

The relocation of the fire service from the hideous building they were in was needed for the new John Lewis store. The old fire service building could not be altered to be used again as the op suggested as it did not meet DDA access requirements and would have needed substantial remodelling both internally & externally. Demolishion costs at the moment are very low and also reduced the chances of vandalism, arson etc etc. And it's on the site of where the new cole brothers will be.

The 'pepperpot' building probably could have been incorporated into the scheme, but, the available retail units are small, and it appears to have struggled to attract tenants as long as I remember.

Sheffield is the 4th city in England, it's about time we have a city centre we can be proud of, not one that's stuck in the 60's & 70's. The new buildings represent what what early 21st century architechure is about, it's creating it's own style, much the same as the Victorian period, georgian period and even the 1960's did.

Odd to see anyone want to preserve a 'new' building such as the old Fire Station - it was a red brick, 80's style ugly lump - it doesn't matter to me one bit what happens to modern ugly lumps like that - What we would be better off having here are buildings that for one reason or another Sheffield has not had in my lifetime - arcades like Victoria Quarter in Leeds - even Barnsley and Rotherham have them - but we most likely don't since Sheffield was bombed to death in the 40's, taking out many of the Victorian and Georgian features that it would once have had... There are not many buildings here that are worth preserving, and local retailers do not thrive in the city centre as they do in some places (Nottingham, for instance) and that may be down to rates and rents? So short of lower rents for local businesses in the city, we need a modern shopping centre that will attract bigger names in retail - we don't even have a House of Fraser in the city anymore, and that is a disgrace... Sheffield shop wise has gone backwards over the last 10 years, not forwards, and we need to keep up with other cities in this respect - Sheffield is like a poor cousin compared to other similar cities such as Leeds and Liverpool... None of which compare with Manchester, and we can't expect to either, as they still have the architecture, the business life, nightlife and the retail that nowhere else has outside of London... We should be able to compete with Leeds, Nottingham and Liverpool though! I'm from Nottingham, and left cos there was nothing, but that place has really come on in the last 10 years... Sheffield needs to do the same - the council just doesn't seem to support the cities growing needs though, maybe a proper powerful mayor could really be the answer? The lib dems in the city seem terrified at the prospect, so maybe they're worried about getting a kick from someone they'd have to listen to? New brooms, and all that?

For the most part I think that area of Sheffield is a dump, hopefully the Sevenstones development will freshen up that whole area and give it a new lease of life.

I'm 100% behind the Sevenstones scheme, I just hope we're still not waiting for it in 10 years time.

Regards

Doom

Odd to see anyone want to preserve a 'new' building such as the old Fire Station?

Change is often hard to accept for many people. It's confusing and uncomfortable.

But time waits for no man and those once new and unpopular buildings must go, we should preserve the very best to inform the future but the future is coming no matter how much we might not like it.

Once it's been embraced it's a lot less scary.

For example, why demolish the Grosvenor House Hotel, another important building, a landmark, a site which helps define Sheffield?

How is it important, it's an old and dirty building and looks horrible, I'm glad it's being demolished. I really hope it doesn't define Sheffield!

From looking at reviews it's not even a good hotel either.

This thread is surely reflecting the Forum at its best. LadyStar- agree with you in many respects-especially about Nottingham. One of the biggest urban myths about Sheffield is the scale of the damage done to central Sheffield by the Luftwaffe.Its arguable that more damage was wrought by the Council post war. Some of the thoughts on Sheffield's historic buildings expressed by Councillors and presumably planners that I have come across have left me in a cold sweat

Times change and as such I'm completely behind the Sevenstone programme.

here here.

I work in construction and feel this project will bring jobs and prosperity to the area...Look at the moor its been run down for the last 15 years.we need to bring our city centre into the 21st century.look at leeds and manchester...

here here.

I work in construction and feel this project will bring jobs and prosperity to the area...Look at the moor its been run down for the last 15 years.we need to bring our city centre into the 21st century.look at leeds and manchester...

Agreed. The city centre is a dump.

John Lewis could have upped sticks years ago and gone to Meadowhall. If they did that would have been the death of the city centre. They haven't and they should quite rightly so be the centrepoint of a new retail centre.

Everyone talks about Leeds and Manchester but look at it like this. Leeds has Harvey Nicholls, as a result other trendy shops have popped up. Leeds thus becomes a destination for trendy shoppers and more people come into the city centre. Manchester on the other hand has Selfridges. Both of these cities have out of town shopping centres, yet both city centres continue to thrive.

It is all about attracting the right businesses. The right businesses bring in people, and these will bring in more businesses.

Some people hate change and will argue constantly. They need to wake up and move forward.