How to get a car with no tax or MOT to a garage?

If anyone wants to purchase this there's an ad in the classifieds for £200 ono- had a few complete timewasters and it's not nice since the car isn't at our house and we have to trail kids there to meet people to view etc so anyone that doesn't plan on showing up or doesn't want it once viewed that is fine just please say so. Thanks :)

Car insurance is a pain in the rear. Its all perfectly clear and perfectly stupid. Many insurance companies have a clause that states that if the car is not covered by an MOT certificate then the insurance is not liable - which means that if you have an accident on the way to the garage then you are not covered by your insurance. At least that is how it looks to me.

Other thing is - if you already own a car and have it fully comp, and then purchase another car and want to get it through the MOT before changing over insurance to the new car (and the old one being used for parts or scrap), you are still not covered to drive the new one to the MOT station. You do not want to scrap the insurance on the old car just in case the new one needs so many repairs it will be off road for weeks.

Finally - every insurance I have had states that I am covered to drive someone elses car with their permission as long as their car is insured for them.

I understand that you also do not want to take out an insurance policy if you are just getting a car through an MOT in order to sell it, but like I said - no MOT can make an insurance policy invalid so catch 23.

Car insurance, MOT and Tax rules can be so confusing for those new to it. It can be confusing to me and I'm not new to it so ...

Not you deary.... not you ;)

Thanks for all replies, I guess it's temporary insurance or whatever it is. A guy has PMed me about picking it up & MOTing it for £40 so may go down that route if I don't sell it x

Think she was referring to HeadingNorth :hihi:

I Offer Vehicle Recovery and Transportation in and around Sheffield. If pickup and drop off is within Sheffiield then i only charge £25 ask for a quote for long distance

Andy 07778302730

You can get short term cover, starts at a tenner a day.

I've always wondered why it's ok to drive to a TEST centre,with no MOT in a car that could be a death trap.Surely no MOT should mean you can't drive it under any circumstances.If it needs to go somewhere it should be put on a Transporter.

It is one of those urban myths that you can drive an untaxed car to an MOT station even if the certificate is expired.

The problem arises with the terms on most insurance policies requiring that the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the RTA. This of course requires a current MOT test certificate. So if you are on your way to the test centre and have an accident the insurance company have plenty of wriggle room to suggest that the terms of the policy were being violated and giving them a perfect loophole to avoid paying out. At which point the police will come a knocking.

It is one of those urban myths that you can drive an untaxed car to an MOT station even if the certificate is expired.

No it's not.

It's true (under the RTA) providing the MOT is prebooked.

No it's not.

It's true (under the RTA) providing the MOT is prebooked.

check your insurance policy. I note that you editted out the relavent bit of my post in order to quote out of context

QUOTE...

The problem arises with the terms on most insurance policies requiring that the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the RTA. This of course requires a current MOT test certificate. So if you are on your way to the test centre and have an accident the insurance company have plenty of wriggle room to suggest that the terms of the policy were being violated and giving them a perfect loophole to avoid paying out. At which point the police will come a knocking.

Edited by foxy lady

Maintenance in accordance with the RTA does not require an MOT certificate. While the insurers require your vehicle to be roadworthy, once it's on risk they cannot wriggle out of third party liabilites very easily.

Liabilities to their own insured however are a different matter.

Maintenance in accordance with the RTA does not require an MOT certificate. While the insurers require your vehicle to be roadworthy, once it's on risk they cannot wriggle out of third party liabilites very easily.

Liabilities to their own insured however are a different matter.

Quote from DVLA's website.

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

Quote from my insurance policy.

exemptions.

Claims where at the time of the road traffic accident the driver of your car did not hold a valid driving licence, your car was not in a roadworthy condition or there was no valid MOT certificate.

To compound the lack of MOT some people will actually drive the vehicle back from an MOT station after the vehicle has been pronounced unroadworthy by having a FAIL certificate issued.

The issue of third party liability is an interesting side issue. If you were classed as an uninsured driver, the other parties would be paid out under their own insurance. It would then be up to the companies involved to decide if it was worth pursuing you for the losses.

Edited by foxy lady

Then you need to find a more responsible insurance company because that policy will not stand in court.

A failed MOT also does not necessarily mean the vehicle is not roadworthy.

Quote from DVLA's website.

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

No one was saying no insurance was needed, in fact (if you read all the posts) you'd realise that one of the first posts contains the requirement for insurance. You stated:

When your post says the opposite.