Cross Bedford St - Peninsula, can you remember?

Miss M

Which period were you referring to when you asked about the taxi firm?As strange as it may seem, Tomlinson's the undertakers also operated taxis from the same premises.I don't know when they shut up shop but it must have been a long time ago.

Hi, i was referring to early 70s i also was a taxi driver for Tomlinson,s from 1964 :|:|

Hi Miss M,

I believe the area was terraced housing & mixed industry up until 1969.

As previously mentioned the undertakers were called Joseph Tomlinson. - The gateway on Bedford Street is still visible today.

Here is an Aerial view dated 1960 - The terraced housing was knocked down in approx 1969, around the time that Kelvin flats were being built.

The site was just derelict wasteland for the next thirty years, the Aerial view from the 1970s shows the newly constructed Kelvin flats, bottom left.

The Peninsular site was bisected by a North Street which ran between Cross Bedford Street and Penistone Road.

Here are two views of the area taken from Kelvin flats in 1974.

Cross Bedford Street.

Infirmary Road.

The site was invaded briefly by gypsies in the late 1970s & the loveable rogues endeared themselves to the local population with their daring exploits, racking up an impressive series of bans from the local landlords.

The council moved them on & built an earth rampart around the site to deny them access which you can see in the photo from 1980.

Rainbow over Gibbs yard.

Have a look at THIS THREAD for some interesting information about Gibbs yard.

Also, here is a previous thread about CROSS BEDFORD STREET, the story about the ELEPHANT living there is true and here is a photo of ABBEY TAXIS that used to operate from a building on the corner of Bedford Street & Cross Bedford Street.

Edited by Mantaspook
sp.

You're welcome, there's a picture of 'Lizzie 'the elephant on THIS SITE plus some further information about Tommy Wards Elephant. on Flickr and the SHEFFIELD HISTORY CHAT

"During the First World War, Thomas Ward's was heavily engaged in war activities. There was a shortage of horses which had been sent to the Front and in 1916 Ward leased an elephant (and a man to look after it) from a circus.

Circuses had been stood down for the duration of the war. The firm had the elephant for a couple of years, stabling her near the factory and using her for hauling heavy loads of steel around Sheffield.

The elephant's name was Lizzie and records exist that are full of anecdotes about her - eating a schoolboy's cap, putting her trunk through a kitchen window to help herself, and pushing over a traction engine.

The bizarre sight of the elephant in the streets of Sheffield, led to the local saying of 'Done up like Tommy Ward's elephant', a term used to describe anyone laden down with heavy bags."

Wow there's some amazing info here, thank you!

I live at Borough Mews (the converted flats) and love finding out more info on it. I LOVE the picture of Lizzie the elephant, I'm definitely going to try and frame that one!

There are some stories I haven't heard before, such as the gypsies!

Cheers Mantaspook :)

Edited by Buttercup88

I can remember that area back in the 40's, it was awful. It never seemed to get any sun, always seemed dark and doomy. I had a workmate lived on North St, and before that a schoolmate who's family moved over from Fitzallan St onto Cross Bedford St. Frying pan into the fire type move. I think Roy Hattersley mentioned the area in his book about his childhood, can't remember the actual title. I think the reason for the general lack of daylight was because of a large building on the other side of Penistone Road.

I used to visit my grandparents in the 40s/50s who lived on Bedford St just opposite Cross Bedford St. I used to buy at Benton''s his version of ice lollies, a square of ice with tyzer in for 1d

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Cross Bedford, as far as I can remember in a yard of back to back houses but I'm not sure if the wall of Tomlison's was at the back of the yard their house fronted C Bedford St

My Dad used to say that Tommy Ward's elephant was stabled at Tomlinson's because they had a large entrance which probably was originaly for coach and horses.

hazel

Hi Hazel, your aunt and uncle must have lived close to my mates grandmother Mrs. Gascoyne. She lived in the house next to the General Gordon.