Infirmary Road 40s/50s

Did anyone used to live on or just off Infirmary Road in the 40s and 50s, in particular around Cross Bedford Street, Albert Terrace and Portland Street? Be nice to see some familiar names

Poole, Cardwell,Taylor I used to go about with these people in the fifties.

My Grandparents lived on Bedford St and I used to visit a shop on Cross Bedford St called Bentons. We all used to go to Grandmas on Sundays and buy penny ices from there.

I had an uncle who lived across from the shop down a yard with a large entrance with quite a few houses there, I suppose these days it would be called a muse.

hazel

I lived in a pub called the Owl Inn on the corner of Penistone Rd and Montgomery Terrace Rd from '53 to '60 and went to Philadelphia County school.I remember Mr Benton's shop very well.Other shops were Meredith's and Georgie Weed's.The surnames I remember from the immediate area were Copeland,Tricket,Pitts,Fielding,Hartley,Brown and Pass.We moved to Shiregreen in early 1960 and I hated it,it was far too quiet but my health improved once we were away from the pollution.Even after all these years I still think of the Kelvin as home.

I knew a family called Hissett who lived on Alwyn Street, off Robert Street. Herbert Hissett worked at Upperthorpe Baths (in the wash-house), Winifred was a Girl Guides leader. When the houses were demolished (1961-2?) they were given a maisonnette in Grammar Street. Herbert died in 1969 and Winifred in 1976; their son John lives at Wincobank, on Jenkin Close.

I lived in a pub called the Owl Inn on the corner of Penistone Rd and Montgomery Terrace Rd from '53 to '60 and went to Philadelphia County school.I remember Mr Benton's shop very well.Other shops were Meredith's and Georgie Weed's.The surnames I remember from the immediate area were Copeland,Tricket,Pitts,Fielding,Hartley,Brown and Pass.We moved to Shiregreen in early 1960 and I hated it,it was far too quiet but my health improved once we were away from the pollution.Even after all these years I still think of the Kelvin as home.

My Mother was Winifred Pitts from 203 Penistone Road (bottom of West Don Steet).

Archived