Something has annoyed me today - Police car speeding without lights/sirens

No they're not. Take the Reg number and report them to any police station. You will get a reference number to follow up your complaint.

what i dont understand: the police are allowed to speed / go through red lights and generally flount the law as they see fit if they are "trained" So how is it safe for him to do 50 in a 30 zone but it isn't for me? they continually go on about speed kills but yet it's safe for them to speed if they are trained? so why not raise the standard for the driving test to meet their safety training?

Probably Med Hughes, the well-known "anti-speeding" chief constable. He's been done for speeding a couple of times already.

but arnt they there to serve and protect

Perhaps someone should mention that to them?

People complain that it takes the police an age to attend incidents and then complain when they do rush to an incident. :roll:

i have see something that has ****** me right off today a police car speeding with no lights on or siren doing about 50 in a 30 area if it was us we would get £60 fine and 3 points ive see afew like this where does the law start

If they were attempting to get to a crime in progress, they stood a far better chance of making an arrest by arriving both swiftly and quietly. What would you wish them to do, give criminals a call, to let them know that they are on their way? :huh:

If they were attempting to get to a crime in progress, they stood a far better chance of making an arrest by arriving both swiftly and quietly. What would you wish them to do, give criminals a call, to let them know that they are on their way? :huh:

but the criminals wouldnt have heard the flashing lights coming would they??? maybe no sirens yeah but to speed with no lights on isn't acceptable imo. its not like the criminals wouldn't leg it if they saw a police car coming if it didn't have lights on, they wouldn't hang around to think...

"hmm, this cop car aint got any lights on, i'll carry on with my misdemeanour, and see idf he drives past" :loopy:

Police cars are not allowed to speed or switch their lights/sirens unless they are responding to a call (apparently). Not sure how this is registered and checked however (I don't work for the Police)

In order for any vehicle to be exempt from speed limits, or claim any other expemtion to traffic law, they must have visual and audio warning devices on.

So a Police car responding to an incident at speed must have their blue lights illuminated, and use the siren where it is deemed neccessary (usually when going through red lights, or complex junctions etc).

With regards to the usual "why is it safe for the Police/Ambulance/Fire to do 70 in a 30, when i cant" nonsence - all emergency drivers are assesed to a high standard, and are trained to handle a vehicle at speed. They spend months learning how to read the road, and learning when it is safe to overtake etc. Its not just a case of driving at speed, its watching everything that happens around you, knowing the safe distances and when to brake so that they dont crash going round corners, or approaching roundabouts etc.

They are taught how to control skids and blowouts at high speed, amongst other things.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they are allowed to drive the wrong way up a one way street. They can however drive the wrong way up the Motorway hard shoulder.

Blue Light Exemptions

There is no authority that issues permission to use blue, green or amber lights on your vehicle. You must just follow the law.

Any driver can drive using blue lights without needing any higher qualification than a driving licence. Most services do insist on their drivers undergoing some form of advanced driver training though, and there are moves to establishing a national standard.

While using blue lights, drivers are exempt from a number of motoring regulations, and they are allow to

* treat a red traffic light as a give way sign

* pass to the wrong side of a keep left bollard

* drive on a motorway hard shoulder (even against the direction of traffic)

* disobey the speed limit (police, fire and ambulance services only)

However, they are not allowed to

* ignore a 'no entry' sign

* ignore a 'stop' or 'give way' sign

* drive the wrong way down a one-way street

* ignore flashing signs at level crossings or fire stations

* cross a solid white line down the middle of the road*

*except in the same circumstances as everyone else (for instance to pass a stationary vehicle, slow moving cyclist or horse, or a road maintenance vehicle). This can cause problems for emergency drivers when other road users slow to let them pass where road markings indicate no overtaking.

Sometimes emergency vehicles may need to disobey other signs and regulations. This will depend on the professional judgment of the driver.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_3.htm#%28Tii%29iicolourlightshownlampreflector

Just to correct a point or two

Police cannot "run" red lights, even if on a full blues and twos call, the must treat a red as a give way, the only vehicle allowed to run a red light by law is a GPO van delivering a declaration of war !!!

A Police officer can travel at speed without the use of any the vehicles aids... consider how many vehicles the police use that are un-liveried and without lights and sirens????

If a Police officer has an accident even with the sirens and lights they are still held responsible for their actions and usually charged with dangerous driving. If they unfortuantely kill or injure someone during an accident I'm pretty sure they'll have the same remorse and feelings that most other people would do.

It's about time the UK public allowed the Police to get on with their job without challenging the smallest actions, we all screw up once in a while, it's human nature !!!.