If online now, look North in sky

i'm at top end of pitsmoor,and don valley lights are definitely on and causing a big glow in the misty night air, guess from some areas that could appear greenish in certain conditions

i'm at top end of pitsmoor,and don valley lights are definitely on and causing a big glow in the misty night air, guess from some areas that could appear greenish in certain conditions

Everything is always green in Nether Edge :-)

Hallam FC are at Crosspool towards Lodge Moor, not sure how often they are on.

cant see anything in Foxhill.

where abouts are you in sheffield?

its raining and been foggy

I can't help to identify what it is, but I can be fairly confident about what it is not. Given the amount of light pollution in any city the size of Sheffield, the chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis is as close to zero as makes no difference.

Thought you were on about Christa and Harry:hihi:

:hihi: me too

im by prince of wales road by the travelodge and all i can see is street lamps..

Ive just looked and agree! its seems to be the don valley area...:)
thats east sheffield though not north as the op posted

I can't help to identify what it is, but I can be fairly confident about what it is not. Given the amount of light pollution in any city the size of Sheffield, the chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis is as close to zero as makes no difference.

I've seen it from Sheffield, just.

I was at the Mayfield environmental centre with the Sheffield astronomical society, few years back and i grant you not really in a big city. (being in the countryside, almost.)

I've seen it from Sheffield, just.

I was at the Mayfield environmental centre with the Sheffield astronomical society, few years back and i grant you not really in a big city. (being in the countryside, almost.)

A fair point; some of the outskirts of Sheffield, while still classed as within the city boundary, are about as far from "city landscape" as it's possible to get. I was thinking more of the built-up areas; from here in Beighton, there are numerous stars I can't make out, even though I know where they are.

Can't see anything from the top end of Woodseats near Derbyshire Lane...

I can see 8 bright floodlights around the Ecclesall Road/Fulwood Road area though. Anyone know where they are coming from? Football pitches I presume, but I'm not sure where.

Probably the Astro Turf pitches at King Edward VII and Tapton schools. They are in use most evenings.