SUFC supporters--remember " The Mighty Carlin "?

Remember "Addy addy addy Addison." About the great midfielder. Also

"We hate Nottingham Forest

We hate Sunderland too

We hate Sheffield Wednesday

But United we live you"

Had a season ticket for 3 guineas! Went to the games with Jeff Goldthorpe.

On 30/06/2011 at 19:22, Blue Monday said:

Most of that is correct Bladebeer but it wasn't Willie who scored. I seem to remember that he picked up the ball in the Blades half and ran straight at their defence. He got as far as the edge of their penalty area where he was tackled but the ball ran free to (the late) Mick Hill who smacked it in. Think we drew one all, maybe 1969 or 70 ? Willie ran to the North Stand and kissed the girl and said afterwards he ran towards the first red and white scarf he could see.

I was stood on Wednesdays kop with my owl supporting mates ( back in the days when you could do that and not have to keep quiet about who you favoured ) watching that match.

Wednesday were winning 1-0 with Johnny Fantham's 140th goal for them ( which came off his shin ). Wednesday were attacking the kop end again and Carlin robbed the ball off them close to the edge of the penalty area. He then set off straight down the middle of the pitch with a Wednesday posse in hot pursuit.

Carlin had a particular trick which he repeated often. he would take the tackle, retain control of the ball, both players would hit the deck but Carlin being small and stocky would be up first leaving the defender out of the game. He did it to Gerry Young then laid the ball out to Mick Hill who took it on and then smashed it into the far top corner of Peter Springett's net.

Willie then ran all the way back down the front of Wednesdays south stand until he spotted a good looking lass sat a couple of seats back opposite the end of United's penalty area. Reached into the crowd, took hold of both ends of her Blades scarf, drew her to him and kissed her.

I was falling about laughing and taking the pee out of my mates. Obviously, in todays world Willie would be brought up on charges and banned for five matches.

On 15/01/2010 at 14:09, bladebeer said:

I remember Willie Carlin scoring against Wednesday and running across to a buxom blonde supporter and giving her a big smacker.He later denied knowing the bird and said it was a spur of the moment thing.Yeah right:hihi::hihi:

I was on the kop for that fixture with thousands of Blades. Game was drawn. Didn’t we sing about «  Ritchie the bush kangaroo » as well. 

Game was at Easter I think. To be honest I think Ritchie scored the winner for them at our place 😂 earlier in the season 

On 14/01/2010 at 01:29, canadablade said:

Barely a nipper at that time but i remember Willie Carlin, I dont remember us signing that song with his name in it but a fw years later we sang

You've not seen nothing like the MIGHTY FLYNN in reference to John Flynn

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/bob.dunning/sheffiel.htm

Wasn’t Flynn before Carlin ?

On 30/06/2011 at 19:22, Blue Monday said:

Most of that is correct Bladebeer but it wasn't Willie who scored. I seem to remember that he picked up the ball in the Blades half and ran straight at their defence. He got as far as the edge of their penalty area where he was tackled but the ball ran free to (the late) Mick Hill who smacked it in. Think we drew one all, maybe 1969 or 70 ? Willie ran to the North Stand and kissed the girl and said afterwards he ran towards the first red and white scarf he could see.

Mick Hill either came from or went to Ipswich . Didn’t we get Carlin from Notts County or maybe Carlisle ? 

Like « 

All our Yesterdays «  on here 😁

2 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Mick Hill either came from or went to Ipswich . Didn’t we get Carlin from Notts County or maybe Carlisle ? 

Like « 

All our Yesterdays «  on here 😁

Mick Hill came to us from a Welsh non football league club and we sold him to Ipswich. Willie Carlin started out at Liverpool, we bought him from Carlisle. 

Mick sadly died at the age of 60 but Willie is still with us at 83.

Willie was a favourite of both my dad and me and we weren't happy to see him sold.  I remember the song well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Game was at Easter I think. To be honest I think Ritchie scored the winner for them at our place 😂 earlier in the season 

A header at the Bramall Lane end.

6 hours ago, m williamson said:

Mick Hill came to us from a Welsh non football league club and we sold him to Ipswich. Willie Carlin started out at Liverpool, we bought him from Carlisle. 

Mick sadly died at the age of 60 but Willie is still with us at 83.

Willie was a favourite of both my dad and me and we weren't happy to see him sold.  I remember the song well.

Sad that Mick Hill died soyoung

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Was it ? Got it in my head that it was a shot at the kop end ? 

42 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

90th minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

I could be wrong. My memory has been known to play tricks.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 16:42, Jim Hardie said:

If 1967 that's what I remember - off the underside of the bar as well.