Talk Talk broadband in Sheffield, S20

Oh god. I had the TalkTalk reps round on the Bank Holiday after Xmas. Was with BT for home phone and AOL for internet. Switched, 'Live' date today. Well it said today for both, yet when I called the other day I was told phone today, BB on 22nd Jan. Phone switched over, they said BB by 12 midnight. No interupptions yet so presuming I am not Live on BB yet. Still haven't rec'd my modem etc anyway (although I could connect using current modem I suppose). Spent 59 mins on hold before they answered, told me to ring their Equipment line to find out where my router is as he couldn't put me through. Rang it several times, keeps getting transferred back to Customer Services etc etc. Rang again a few hours later (about 2hrs ago), told systems down, can I ring back tomorrow.

I have signed to the package of about £26 a month for line rental, free calls to landlines including 084 and 087 numbers (not 09 numbrs though obv.). I was paying £15 to AOL and getting £100+ bills every quarter from BT, my DD with them set at £43 a month at present although it would have come down I guess. Seems ok but hoping the service is ok! Not impressed today so far!

If your BB live date is 22 January you will receive your broadband before then - I got my router a few days before.

I have had Talk Talk broadband for two years now and the connection has always been fine.

Oh god. I had the TalkTalk reps round on the Bank Holiday after Xmas. !

Dont trust them!! Its nothing personal to each rep, just the company. My partner went for an interview last week for what he was told was a marketing company, at first interview he was told he'd be office based (in Sheffield city centre, where the interview was), there would be no cold calling involved and there was no comission, just a basic wage. They call him back for a second (all day interview) two days later. He turns up on the Friday, they ship him off to Rotherham (where they expected him to pay his own way - he's a jobseeker for crying out loud!), and told him to spend til 7.30pm knocking on peoples doors trying to sell them Talk Talk, they're told to tell the customer that they've recently taken over the BT lines in the area and that there should be a few changes (Not sure if this is true or not, but can't see it myself), then try and talk them into buying this crappy broadband/phoneline service. (if they were that good a company they wouldn't need door to door salesmen, would they?)

He was told he's be in an office so just went in his suit and coat (no hat, scarf or gloves) so was like an ice block when he came home. They had a debrief in the office before they let him go, and told him that there was no basic wage (which I said was illegal, surely they had to get minimum wage atleast? But apparently they're self employed!), and that he would make £30 gross per sale. He wasn't even going to get paid for the days work he did for them!!

I was absolutely disgusted, surely companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise such vacancies in that way, its misleading. And he should have at least been warned that he was to be outside all day, in the snow!!!

*Rant over* - Sorry!!

oh god, really regretting moving now! landline went live on 13th, was told BB would (although was told 22nd or 23rd previously for BB). telephone has switched, but no sign of modem. now told my BB is live but still not rec'd router. I am still on aol as far as i know and i cant cancel that until my takltalk router arrives and i was told today that it was shipped on the 13th.

I'm with TalkTalk... they're ok as long as you know how to fix things yourself. Various tech forums suggest it's because they use AOL's crappy old hardware and there is a problem with the supported MTU's. (MTU = maximum transmission unit, or the biggest size a lump of data can be broken into to be sent of the tinternet). I'll have to check my MTU setting but I think the max size supported by TalkTalk is 1400. Don't even bother mentioning it to their tech support as the poor chaps in India will probably melt. Send me a pm if you want me to send full info to you. Since changing to a lower MTU it has been a lot better but still glitchy as hell! They are after all the cheap and cheerful option.

I had big problems with Talk Talk broadband the way i sorted it out was to email the big man Charles Dunstone ([email protected]) i had a call within 12 hrs and it was sorted within 36 hours

If you want anything doing quickly go to the top

I can,t comment on Talk Talk, but we have had Orange Broadband for two years and had no problems.

I don't live in S20 but have had no end of problems with Talk Talk broadband :(

I'm only with them because we don't live in a cabled area and they offer free international calls.

Basically they will rather say they won't fix the broadband because it is a 'free add on' which apparently means they don't have to bother!

They tried it with us but after a lot of complaining they finally fixed the problem (it was a problem with some hardware at the exchange).

Still have random drop offs, slow downs, etc now though.

If talk talk were the only phone & internet providers, I would buy a carrier pidgeon. Had a history of problems, but now settled nicely with virgin media. Talk talk still owe me money after 2 years.

Pay peanuts you get monkeys. Had a lot of problems with TalkTalk back when they supplied our service.

- low MTU rate

- connection drop

- ridiculous queue time to speak to someone

- "well the broadband is free, so what do you expect?" response from staff; would have made me laugh if I wasn't so fed up

- eighteen month contract so you have plenty of time to regret it

I'm now with O2 on ADSL as cable is not available in this area. In the last eighteen months there has been just one outage (loss of service). They texted me half an hour before it happened to warn me and service was restored within an hour. O2 have no minimum contract length so you're welcome to leave them at any time and their customer services are both free to call and UK based.

No contest really for the extra £12 a month for a BT line and paying O2 the same as I was paying TalkTalk.

Cable, however, is the way to go for fast, reliable broadband. If you haven't seen the new part-cabled (super ADSL) services being rolled out across Sheffield and available soon, you should check out the Sheffield Digital Region initiative.

We've just got rid of talktalk... We had a perfectly good service from Tiscali, as soon as talktalk took over the service was more often off than on. We're now happily with virgin. I honestly can't believe how good virgin is in comparison! Should have got rid earlier!