Accident: 08/01/10, Springvale Rd, S10, 7.30pm

She should have stopped, even if it was just to see that you were ok, or as a witness. Perhaps she thought that as her vehicle made no contact with yours, she didn't want to get into a situation where she thought she might be apportioned any blame.

Either way, she wasn't very smart. Sounds like she could have been a very unconfident driver and too inexperienced driver for the conditions who didn't want to stop in case she started sliding too and added to the situation.

Obviously the main thing is that everyone is ok. Although it's a terrible hassle, at least cars, lamposts, etc are repairable or replaceable.

She should have stopped, even if it was just to see that you were ok, or as a witness. Perhaps she thought that as her vehicle made no contact with yours, she didn't want to get into a situation where she thought she might be apportioned any blame.

Either way, she wasn't very smart. Sounds like she could have been a very unconfident driver and too inexperienced driver for the conditions who didn't want to stop in case she started sliding too and added to the situation.

Obviously the main thing is that everyone is ok. Although it's a terrible hassle, at least cars, lamposts, etc are repairable or replaceable.

Exactly :)

There was nowhere to pull into further up the hill :rolleyes:

Not quite sure why you need to give me the roll eyes smiley, because what you said was:

I don't quite know where she was expecting me to go seeing as there were cars parked both sides of the road.

And:

Yes, it is entirely possible she didn't realise we were sliding, but we were still traveling towards her with nowhere to pull over and she was continuing to come up the hill towards us.

Both of which imply there was nowhere to pull over further down the hill, and yet you found somewhere to hit the lamp post. Maybe if she didn't realise you were sliding, she expected you to pull into the very gap that you went into. Presumably she didn't want to stop because she'd lose all momentum and either not be able to get going again, or worse still, slip backwards.

Anyway I'm glad you're OK and there's not much harm done (except to the lamp post).

Im glad you and your child are ok.

It does grieve me somewhat that this other driver didnt bother to stop at the scene of an accident even if it was to see if you were ok !

and to all the other posters.... does it really matter where the blame lies and who shouldve done what and the particulars of how the cars were parked blah blah blah........ its common courtesy to stop, but then again theres some rotten ignorant people out there so im sorry to say it doesnt surprise me in the slightest. I also know that road and how bad it can be even if that woman had stopped she wouldve been able to carry on up the hill..... so pure ignorance on her part.

I get very cross at the best of times driving UP Springvale Road. There are at least two road signs reminding drivers that priority goes to vehicles driving UP the hill. Nine times out of ten I have to stop for people coming down because they are so ignorant they will not give way as they should.

As for snow and ice... walk to the shops!!

There was nowhere to pull into further up the hill :rolleyes:

What, not even the junctions of Mona Road, Townend Street & Bates Street. I can always find somewhere to pull over going down Springvale.

...There are at least two road signs reminding drivers that priority goes to vehicles driving UP the hill...

I think these priority road signs are shown in the Highway Code as "Information signs" and there are ocassionally some instances where common sense tells us to take a different action if that is the safest course. It doesn't take a genius to realise that a car coming uphill in icy conditions is likely to be easier to stop safely than one travelling down.

Anyway, I'm glad you are ok, luv_milk.

I think these priority road signs are shown in the Highway Code as "Information signs" and there are ocassionally some instances where common sense tells us to take a different action if that is the safest course. It doesn't take a genius to realise that a car coming uphill in icy conditions is likely to be easier to stop safely than one travelling down.

Also a damn sight harder for one going uphill to start again in icy conditions.

Common sense tells me when going down Springvale I should anticipate traffic turning on to the road from Commonside and in any conditions I should be looking to pull over to to give them priority.

In icy conditions I would also have considered using Western Road and School Road - a longer journey but not nearly as steep.

Anyway, I'm glad you are ok, luv_milk.

Not quite, they're signs which give orders, which in response to Bobby99 - I am fully aware of and DO give way to vehicles coming up the hill. I was trying to slow to a stop!

As you've said, Horribleblob, there are circumstances which sometimes mean this isn't possible, such as the road conditions on Friday night. And yes thank you, we are alright although a bit sore and stiff today.

@ Bobby99: Stopping distances are GREATLY increased in snow/icy conditions - by as much as 10 times. So, while I accept that I was coming down the hill (and under normal circumstances would be giving way), and that I lost control of my car, it was partly the other driver's fault for not taking into consideration how long it would take me to be able to stop (especially coming downhill and the momentum that involves), and that there was nowhere for me to pull in. I know how annoying it can be trying to get up Springvale Road - I live off the top end of it and drive as courteously as possible.

As for walking to the shops, I did walk up to Crookes, where the Co-op shelves were devoid of most things. As I have a child to feed, I decided to wait until the roads were quieter and then brave going to Tesco for a weekly grocery shop. Most traumatic/expensive Tesco shop EVER!!

@ Longcol: No, not even into those side-streets as I was already past them.

Also a damn sight harder for one going uphill to start again in icy conditions.

Common sense tells me when going down Springvale I should anticipate traffic turning on to the road from Commonside and in any conditions I should be looking to pull over to to give them priority.

In icy conditions I would also have considered using Western Road and School Road - a longer journey but not nearly as steep.

Yes thanks I was already going down the road as slowly as possible. As soon as she turned onto the road, I tried to slow my car further.

She could have quite easily have waited at the bottom of Springvale after turning onto it, or pulled into the entrance to Moor End Road and waited, given that we were still coming towards her.

I did consider going another route, but I would have had to turn UP Springvale to go along Western Rd/School Road, and as you've already stated, it's quite hard to get going uphill ;)

And just in case any of you missed it in my original post, we hit a parked car as well as the lamppost...

@ Longcol: No, not even into those side-streets as I was already past them.

You surely can't have been past Bates Street if a car turning into Springvale from Commonside could have made Moor Ends Road to let you pass.