Women who wear burkhas in public in France will be fined

why? because the politicians can just about do as they please,remember the march against the war ? millions marched in london but it changed nothing ,the political agenda was set and they would not alter it despite the views of the people

Politicians did not arrive by parachute. They are elected by the people to rule in their place. If you want things done differently, vote differently. Its called democracy. In this case I believe the majority would not want to criminalise burkha wearers.

why? because the politicians can just about do as they please,remember the march against the war ? millions marched in london but it changed nothing ,the political agenda was set and they would not alter it despite the views of the people

I think you're missing the point of my question.

Why should the burka be criminalised, I'm asking the people on this thread who are advocating that.

Because it can be is not an answer.

Politicians did not arrive by parachute. They are elected by the people to rule in their place. If you want things done differently, vote differently. Its called democracy. In this case I believe the majority would not want to criminalise burkha wearers.
i never said they would ...i was pointing out that the french politicians can do what they want regarding making laws just the same as ours do ,they dont listen to the people they work for ,the ones who elected them

isnt france still a christian country?
Technically, the country (as in "the State") is completely secular. Always has been since the Revolution, and ferociously so where the state education system is concerned (the veil affair, premise to the current burkha affair, started in schools - where Christian crosses had long been objected to, for exactly the same reason and with the same vehemence).

The only minor exception (there must always be one to confirm any rule :D) is in both departments of Alsace and the department of Moselle, where priests are still remunerated as civil servants (after some Germanic laws maintained 'exceptionally' after the 2 annexions). I don't mind, as it's also the only 3 departments in France where Boxing Day is an official holiday (still due to the same obscure laws inherited from Germany).

Edited by L00b

So you agree that if when going into shops etc where it is requested, the women should remove the burkha as re hoodies etc..I'll go for that

..but it should be a matter between the woman and the shopkeeper, not the criminal justice system or unconnected members of the public.

Can we create a rule that anyone who says "simples" or "darn't" get's pushed off Beachy Head?

Only if we can create a similar one for people who put apostrophes in plurals ...

We don't have any rules on burka's.

... equality and all that ...

;)

The same way everyone else will.

It's not like your false colour naked image is going to be splashed on a big tv. One operative of the appropriate sex will view it, in much the same way that you can currently be searched by one person of the appropriate sex.

I'd just like to know how this 'appropriate sex' thing sits with homosexuality ... if you are a gay man, is a straight woman the 'appropriate sex'?