Iconic Sheffield "stores"

Just Micro on Carver Street. Wasnt Gremlin Graphics based upstairs?

Whats the old Just Micro building these days?

Sh2006.

indeed, gremlin was upstairs from just micro

heres pics of just micro

i posted the old just micro pic on a zx spectrum site i frequent and somebody posted the later pic, somebody else did this presentation showing where the just micro entrance was, check outt he paving slabs

herea a bit about gremlin graphics from crash magazine

Edited by melthebell

I'm Sure I can remember round about 1960 going to Tuckwoods restaurant on Surrey street, and going up stairs for a meal, am I right ?

Edited by grinder

I'm Sure I can remember round about 1960 going to Tuckwoods restaurant on Surrey street, and it was up stairs, am I right ?

"Tuckwood's Mongomery Restaurant" was actually downstairs, and it survived until maybe the early 1990s. It was originally an offshoot of Tuckwood's high-class grocer's business nearby in Fargate. It's now an Italian restaurant, the Cafe Nova.

Freewheelin, on Oakbrook Road in the 70s, again a hippy shop, that sold bootleg albums, lots of incense sticks and burners and had a waterbed in the middle of the store.

Remember Pauldens by name but cant remember which shop it is now.

Davy's had a store/ restaurant in the Haymarket ,my Mum worked in the restaurant in the 50s but I never went in, does anyone remember going there ...

Edited by grinder

Remember Pauldens by name but cant remember which shop it is now.

Debenhams ....................

who remembes the concord chinky on the corner of surrey st and union st.what about the posh toy shop at the top of church st on the right hand side.who had their hair cut at gabriels on church st where you had to book a few days ahead,you went down stairs,before that place he was near newton chambers on union lane.there was dainties sweet shops and stewert and stewerts.Aaaaagh lewis leathers and the georgeous linda!

Beatties ?

Does anyone remember Marsdens milk bar on Pinstone Street?

Wimpeys on fargate,girlywigg daveys restaurant,Ideal salons on Norfolk Row,Lewis the jewellers on chapel walk,along with Richard shops Lift up your skirts and fly boutique at the back of peace gardens,Great universal took over from redgates in 70s

Wimpeys on fargate,girlywigg daveys restaurant,Ideal salons on Norfolk Row,Lewis the jewellers on chapel walk,along with Richard shops Lift up your skirts and fly boutique at the back of peace gardens,Great universal took over from redgates in 70s

I think it was Lonsdale Universal when Redgates moved round the corner.Although at one time there was a conecting passage between the basements of the two shops.

what about Gowers The Grocers? In 1943 they had 23 branches. Whatever happened to them? I can remember their store on Abbeydale in the mid-60's which was a 'walk-about' store (pre-cursor to supermarkets).

I have a copy of Gowers' "A shoppers' guide for points planning ", dated May 1943 (for rations).

Wilson Gumpetts was a treat for Guy Fawkes Day - used to go with Dad and spend my saved-up pocket money on amazing fireworks, although Redgates was my all time favourite.

Who can remember Gregory's cake shop on Abbeydale - with awesome vanilla slices and Bakewell tarts?

Coles brings back happy memories. Mum used to save her LVs (luncheon vouchers) and we would have a 3 course lunch there on Saturday. Sorry to see the restaurant is now a cafeteria.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Stewart and Stewart - opposite the Peace Gardens. If you had your hair done there you had your own private room.

Sorry to see that Walsh's is no more - what a dump of a shop now!!

Edited by helbco